Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Cherokee XJ Door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 Cherokee XJ Door lock issue

So I'm sure something similar has been answered before but I'm starting a post because I'm not sure if anyone has posted about an issue as specific. So the problem is my power locks work for all doors except the driver door. You also cannot manually unlock it/lock it from the inside because the button doesn't "lock" into the locked position. Although you can lock/unlock it from the outside with the key no problem. Any advice on what it might be from most likely the issue to least likely the issue would be great. Thanks btw power windows and everything else works, only issue I have is what I described
Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by martyyp
So I'm sure something similar has been answered before but I'm starting a post because I'm not sure if anyone has posted about an issue as specific. So the problem is my power locks work for all doors except the driver door. You also cannot manually unlock it/lock it from the inside because the button doesn't "lock" into the locked position. Although you can lock/unlock it from the outside with the key no problem. Any advice on what it might be from most likely the issue to least likely the issue would be great. Thanks btw power windows and everything else works, only issue I have is what I described
I too have a '99 that the drivers door won't lock. Mine needs a new electric switch on the door latch mechanism(meaning a whole latch that grabs the pin in the door frame), I just haven't got it yet. The interior button thing I don't have on this Jeep, but did have on my '94. the plastic clip that held the rod to the rocker switch in the door card broke from old age and I had to get another door handle for the inside. If you go to the JY to get another be sure and check the plastic clip and make sure the ears both have the teeth on them.