Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 xj will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 xj will not start

97 cherokee classic 4L. I have been having problems with the truck getting it to start and run lately. I have had a constant problem with my nss, however, with patience the truck always starts. My truck has not started in two days. Turn the key, nothing happens, except the fuel pump priming. Just like it would when the nss is acting up. However, i tired to start it for over an hour and usually the truck starts after 10-15 minutes of playing with it. Anyone have any suggestions. BTW, it is cold as heck here and I have a feeling that is the main cause. I have no way to warm the truck up before trying to start. I threw a P0132 code the other day, o2 code, but after 3 ignition cycles the code disappeared. I think it is unrelated but relevant nonetheless. Tomorrow I am going to check to the fuses and relay, and the starter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B
Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Pull the nss and clean it and go from there. I think you are right about the weather causing issues also,there have been a run on nss switches here latlely.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 AM

My NSS is bad and getting worse daily. It's been so effin cold here lately, i just haven't gotten around to it yet. Trying to save it for spring time, ya know?

I'm assuming that you know the "Turn, Push and Jiggle" trick. How is your Battery AND Cables? As you're not even getting a "click", when you turn the key, you might just be cleaning your NSS now.

I suggest testing your Battery and Especially re-checking your Cables, just to try to buy you some more time!

Don't know if you have this link yet...
http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

BTW- The previous owner of my XJ modified the Starter Relay. The plastic housing was removed, exposing the contacts. Simply turn the key to the "run" position, push the 2 contacts together with your finger and it pops right off! This back-up trick always seems to work.

Last edited by guest02; 01-05-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i bought my 93 for 100 bux because of the nss. the previous owner didn't know why it wouldn't start, and because he is a lawyer, he didn't want to waste time with it.
i had it running 5 minutes after i got it to my shop.
i just turned the key to the on position and touched the starter terminals with a screwdriver (well, pry bar in my case).
then i realized it was the nss. so ever since i just hold the key in the start position and wiggle the shifter in the neutral position till it starts to crank.
if that fails, i get out the pry bar again.
works every time. over a year now.
it's a bit of a pita, but not near as much to remove (break) the nss to clean it. that's my absolutely last resort, if i don't just bypass it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Year: 2001&1992
Engine: 4.0L

Where is the NSS located?? How do u replace it because I'm having the same problem fuel pupm hiss'es but does not do anything after cranking
And also its 10degrees here in NY
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 AM

The link two posts up shows location of nss and how to clean
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Year: 2001&1992
Engine: 4.0L

Did this solve your problem?? I have yet to even take my out its so hard to pull out n its so tight down there I'm thinking of just buying a new NSS its been over a week now n still getting colder ...... What do u guys think would it be cheaper to buy another NSS then cleaning it out
Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by nyaristo
Did this solve your problem?? I have yet to even take my out its so hard to pull out n its so tight down there I'm thinking of just buying a new NSS its been over a week now n still getting colder ...... What do u guys think would it be cheaper to buy another NSS then cleaning it out
Cleaning the NSS works nearly 100% of the time!!!

Yes, they can be tough to remove. If you don't break-it getting it out, you shouldn't have to replace it.

Which would be cheaper... are you kidding???

Trust us my friend!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 AM

I did some serious wiggling of the shifter. Two hands and one foot later, my truck started up. Still have other starting and running problems but the truck started. I will hopefully taking the nss off and cleaning when the weather gets warmer. Do you have a price on a new nss, i thought it was like $8.

Thank you all for all the advice, it is much appreciated. This jeep forum is much better than my local 4x4 forum.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 AM

I have the technique almost down to an art now!!!

I too am trying to wait until spring.

This is the cheapest NSS iv'e found so far.

https://secure.www.teamgrandwagoneer...i-ssl/cart.cgi