Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 XJ Stumbling/Stalling when the torque converter lock engages

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XJ Stumbling/Stalling in Overdrive

Hello, hoping I can get some help here.

My stepfathers 97 XJ 4.0 w/ AW4 transmission i'm trying to fix. Here's the symptoms:

While driving, after approx 5 mins, when the transmission shifts into forth, the jeep will stumble very badly and loose power. It also is a little jerky. If you manually shift down to 3rd, it will work fine, and if you give it lots of throttle, it will kick down into a different gear and work again. Basically, if you can get the engine RPM up it works. Seems to only happen under heavier load (such as going up a hill). Thought it was the lock-up solenoid, so replaced all three solenoids with ones off a parts AW-4. The solenoids did look a bit different(they were larger diameter and a bit longer) but plugged in and mounted the same. Since we didn't have much choice, we tried them anyway. No change and it still stumbles and will die if you let it.

When pulling codes get the following after 5-10 min drive -

P0705
P1391

I have tested the crank position sensor, and it seems to be working - has 5v to the sensor, the voltage out the signal wire goes up and down while the engine is turned over slowly.

Have not yet tested the cam position sensor.

Parts replaced on the jeep (other than parts transmission solenoids) are -
TPS, PCM, fuel pump and a few other odds and ends.

I have a 92 and 90 jeep i can borrow parts from for trouble shooting.

Would the 705 cause these kinds of issues? The CEL did not come on during the short drive, but it may not have been long enough of a drive for it to come on.

Any help you all can offer will be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited by basic; 05-15-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/p07...e-power-69655/

try the search --on this forum it works quite well. Also most ALL tranny shops will test drive it and tell you what they think it is and how much it will cost. Sometimes I play a little stupid and they say more hoping you will just let them do the job.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 AM

well, i can confirm it is not a clogged exhaust. The exhaust was removed from before the cat and back, and it had no effect on the symptoms.

I tried to pull the NSS last night to try and clean it, but it's stuck on there pretty good. Soaked it in PB and will try again today.

The symptoms described in the other thread are similar.

A bit more history/info on this jeep. Like I said Earlier, it is 97. Has 208k miles on it. It has the police package and up-country suspension package. It lead a previous life as an Illinois Dept of Conservation vehicle. Because of this, I would think that all recommended maintenance would have been performed, but I don't know how long it was a conservation jeep. When draining the trans to swap solenoids, the fluid was pretty brown, but no particles or anything like that in it.

I'll PM the other member to see if he ever resolved his issue. At this point, I may have to just swap the spare AW4 in if the NSS cleaning doesn't work.

Last edited by basic; 05-14-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Is the map sensor good? I had this problem but my map sensor was not getting volts and it turned out to be a wire grounding out
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM

update - pulled the NSS, cleaned it, put it back on - still problems (back up lights work now though)
Unhooked front O2 & rear so it wouldn't go into closed mode - still problem.
Removed exhaust from front of cat back - still problems.

After the O2 sensor unhook, i got the following codes from the scan tool and a 5-10 min drive -

p1397 (Intermittent loss of CMP or CKP)
p0135 (o2 heater circuit) - probably because it's not hooked up!

Also - after clearing the code & after about 5 mins the CEL came on again. Codes from CEL are 12, 11, 55.

I still haven't tested the CMP sensor, but the CKP passed as far as I could tell with a digital multimeter. I don't have an analog (who does anymore?).

I'll check MAP voltage just to be sure, but I would think a bad MAP would throw a code. Also, it's not really in limp mode - it will never do this if you manually put it down in 1-2 and drive. Sometimes does in 3rd under high load (like going up a hill) and seems it will always do it in normal drive. I'm about to cut the wire to the Lockup solenoid and see if it still does it. I know it will throw a CEL, but I don't really care about that.