Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

P0705 Trans/NSS code related to loss of engine power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default P0705 Trans/NSS code related to loss of engine power?

Hey all, a couple weeks ago my '97 XJ Country threw a CEL code P0705, which is probably related to the NSS. I'm taking it to a transmission place this week to have it checked out but I wanted to run down the symptoms and see what you guys thought the issue was.

Symptoms include:

Increased knocking/ticking at idle and low speeds (especially when cold);
Occasional hard start at cold temperatures;
No reverse lights (common to the NSS, I've read);
Intermittent CEL (currently off, which makes me wary of taking it into a shop);
and what may be a loss of power...it's hard to describe. Basically, the get-up-and-go factor feels diminished. When I accelerate, the engine works harder than it used to in order to get the speed it needs. Shifting still seems fairly smooth though sluggish but it's more of a chore to get it to 80mph than it used to be and I can't seem to get the engine past 2500rpms (though I've been hesitant to flat out gun it, I HAVE accelerated to near pedal-to-the-metal with no increase in rpms).

It doesn't stall. It doesn't die. It doesn't smoke. I'm still able to start it from Park. Sometimes I think the brake lights don't work but it's hard to tell for sure. About a month ago I accidentally ran it without oil for 9 miles (stupid, I know; I have a thread on it) and I'm concerned that the loss of power could be from that and, worse, could eventually kill my engine. I don't think the transmission slips necessarily, it just has a harder time accelerating, which I'm hoping is just related to the Neutral Safety Switch either needing cleaned or replaced (it was adjusted back in January...to little avail).

Any tips or advice on the cause and cure of these symptoms would be greatly appreciated, either here or in PM.

Thanks for your time,
J
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0I6

get some electric cleaner and electric grease and do the NSS rebuild. its cheaper than replacing the NSS.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I would say the CEL, No reverse lights point directly to the NSS. But the other symptoms, I'm not really sure if they tie back to the NSS, The loss of power could be or sounds like a clogged cat. But like i said, I am not sure about the other symptoms since it was ran with no oil. Good Luck. Maybe someone else can pin point it for ya
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Its very possible that the TPS is bad. I would test it before spending $$$ on other things. And here is how you re-build the NSS...Tj
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM

The loss of power is recent, like in the past week or so. The CEL has been off for a few days, oddly enough. I've read about the NSS rebuild/clean but not being technically proficient and not having anyone nearby to walk me through it, I'm not going to risk screwing something up on my DD. How do I test the TPS?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Jonathan Goss
The loss of power is recent, like in the past week or so. The CEL has been off for a few days, oddly enough. I've read about the NSS rebuild/clean but not being technically proficient and not having anyone nearby to walk me through it, I'm not going to risk screwing something up on my DD. How do I test the TPS?
I sent you a PM that should help...Tj
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks again, TJ! I talked to the transmission shop and they said it also might be a blocked exhaust causing the lack of revving. Anyway, I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning to see what's up. It's got 189,000+ miles on it and I've never had the transmission serviced so maybe it's time to get it checked out (though I don't know what is usually done in a transmission tune up).