Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 XJ rear window water sprayer????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default 97 XJ rear window water sprayer????

on my 97 xj i have on the rear wiper, the tube that is for the water sprayer, and the sprayer is on the wiper.....okk now my question is, when i open the back hatch and take off the panel to see where the tubing runs, there is no tubing anywhere. So did the dealership hook that up and decide not to finish hooking up all the rest to the front of the JEEP??? how would i trigger the sprayer anyways??? I feel like a newb........
Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

You should have a switch for the rear wiper and washer seprate from the front wipers. It should be on the same switch as for the rear wipers.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

I have a switch to engage just the wiper to come on and next to it is the rear defroster. nothing else down there. its a sport by the way.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

It is possible that you just have the wiper,best way to tell is look at your washer bottle,if it has two motors then one would be for the back,but you should have some kind of indications on the switch I would think.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

To operate the wash function you have to push down on the switch. It's one of those rocker style switches. Push up to wipe and push down to wash. That's how mine works anyways.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

yeah but i have no hoses running anywhere through my back door to the wiper in the back which would indicate no water would ever be going to the back wiper. odd that there are no hoses, and yes there are 2 motors on the fluid resevoir
Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

If both motors are wired then you should have water to the rear washer.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

haha, this sounds like im not explaining myself very well. The 2 motors are connected, but in order to get WATER to the rear wiper, there has to be a tube of some kind running through the car to the back to even get water back there, there is no such kind of tubing going anywhere, i know, i've taken everything apart. my question was did the dealership just not install the tubing, and my switch only goes down, it doesn't go any other way.......
Old 12-23-2009, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

I understand what you are trying to say but it a bit confusing that the factory would put all the components in for it to work and not the switch or tubing,I would say that yours does not have it,I say that because you do not have the switch to operate the washer. I have no idea why they would install both motors,I can only think the washers come with two motors weather they plan on using it or not. It seems to me that if they are going to install a wiper it should also have a washer.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:22 AM

Year: 1998

i have a 98 sport also and i have no water coming out the rear but i have not checked for the hose and i have the same switch you do. and when you push it to engage it it just turns the wiper on but if you hold it down it should turn on the washer sprayer.. just so you know.. i have to get mine to work too..
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by bain98xj
i have a 98 sport also and i have no water coming out the rear but i have not checked for the hose and i have the same switch you do. and when you push it to engage it it just turns the wiper on but if you hold it down it should turn on the washer sprayer.. just so you know.. i have to get mine to work too..
Same here.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had the same problem when i got my 1992 limited. I took off the panel and couldnt find the hose. It's in between the metal after you take the panel off (it's a hassel to get to, they didnt design it very well) but yea i think they gave you all the stuff except the hose, but maybe they did. i just had to fish around to find mine. haha it was putting water out, not in the right spot but it was gettin to the back; haha i always wondered why the back of my car was wet. but yea you'll prolly need to get a switch from the motor to your dash and get a hose if you cant find it
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

The washer hose that goes through the rear hatch is not the same outside diameter as the outside hose.
It is about the diameter of a AA battery.

There is also an inline check valve. Looks like 3 nickels glued together.

And NO the factory/dealer would not put all that in and not hook it up.

Inspect the hatch and try to see if someone has ever removed/replaced it.
That is a good indication for the lack of hose.

The switch is a two-way toggle.
Engage up-turns on wiper
Momentary down..starts washer cycle (Are wipes 3-4 then stops)

Turn key to ON position and power up the electrical system.
Open hood, engage washer...listen for pump. Its faint but you should be able to hear it with the hood and door open.

If you can hear it, that parts working.
Open the hatch and remove interior trim panel.
Lay on the washer..alot.
Look for wetness or flood.
May be good idea to have a helper.

Let the helper push the switch and you can physically be back looking for any flow.
Make sure you have some sort of eye protection. Washer fluid stings like a <insert favorite expletive here>

Hope this helps get you on the path to finding a solution to your dilema.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM

Year: 1998

very helpful.. so is there a fuse for the rear wiper motor? i actually opened the hood today and pressed the button the wipers came on but the motor for the washer didnt. so im thinking its either a bad motor or a blown fuse but i dont have the fuse panel cover or the owners man
Old 08-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Mine is spraying onto the engine. Where is the location of the hose that goes to the rear wiper on the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: 97 XJ rear window water sprayer????