Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 XJ rear glass replacement PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 97 XJ rear glass replacement PLZ HELP

Hey guys, really really frustrating problem I'm having right now and I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 1997 XJ that needs the rear glass replaced on the hatch. I went to the junkyard and got replacement glass, but the problem is the gasket was destroyed in the process of removing the glass and literally every part dealer has discontinued the gasket. Can the 1996 gasket that does not need to be glued in work on the 97? If not, what can I do? Is my only option to buy a whole new hatch back for the jeep? Those are discontinued as well, so I would have to find one in a junkyard and repaint it. Do I just scrap the damn thing? Im really stuck, please help me!! Thanks
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter

You would think being a glass guy I would know right off the top of my head but....hell, I'm 60 years old and don't have total recall. Let me check my glass books and get back with some concrete information.

happy jeepin'
texastaz38
Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by texastaz38
You would think being a glass guy I would know right off the top of my head but....hell, I'm 60 years old and don't have total recall. Let me check my glass books and get back with some concrete information.

happy jeepin'
texastaz38
thank you so much you’re a savior 😂
Old 04-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, thru 1996 the rear glass dimensions were 19.2 inches by 55 inches.

1997 and up, the glass was 19 inches by 55 inches, so only fractionally shorter and the same width. And as you have discovered, the rear glass moulding is no longer available from Mopar, PGW or Pilkington glass.

You still are not screwed but may require some assistance above your level of expertise.

Here's my thoughts. 1) Since I don't have a 1997 up XJ to look at, the pinch weld that retains the rear glass may allow for the use of a pre-1997 back glass and moulding. They are simple enough to remove and rope back in if it will fit. There are several videos on Youtube to study to get comfortable with the removal and installation process.

2) If you already have the back glass, you can seek out a smaller independent glass shop that might take on the project and install the glass with a universal moulding. Main line shops, i.e., Safelite would have no interest in helping you. Find a "mom and pop" and approach them in a humble manner. You might be surprised and they will do it for a minimal cost.

At a minimum, I know have a quest for glass knowledge and next time i'm at the pick a part I'm going to pull a pre-97 and see if I can put it in 97 up hatch. The pic a part is good place to practice that sort of thing. lol If it breaks, lol, I just move on to the next one. they haven't charged me yet, but i've only had one rope in break on removal and it was because some dips**t siliconed the darn thing in.

Good Luck and Happy Jeepin'
Hope this Helps.

TexasTaz38

If your anywhere close to the texas panhandle, PM me and maybe I can help hands-on.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 PM

Ok, thru 1996 the rear glass dimensions were 19.2 inches by 55 inches.

1997 and up, the glass was 19 inches by 55 inches, so only fractionally shorter and the same width. And as you have discovered, the rear glass moulding is no longer available from Mopar, PGW or Pilkington glass.

You still are not screwed but may require some assistance above your level of expertise.

Here's my thoughts. 1) Since I don't have a 1997 up XJ to look at, the pinch weld that retains the rear glass may allow for the use of a pre-1997 back glass and moulding. They are simple enough to remove and rope back in if it will fit. There are several videos on Youtube to study to get comfortable with the removal and installation process.

2) If you already have the back glass, you can seek out a smaller independent glass shop that might take on the project and install the glass with a universal moulding. Main line shops, i.e., Safelite would have no interest in helping you. Find a "mom and pop" and approach them in a humble manner. You might be surprised and they will do it for a minimal cost.

At a minimum, I know have a quest for glass knowledge and next time i'm at the pick a part I'm going to pull a pre-97 and see if I can put it in 97 up hatch. The pic a part is good place to practice that sort of thing. lol If it breaks, lol, I just move on to the next one. they haven't charged me yet, but i've only had one rope in break on removal and it was because some dips**t siliconed the darn thing in.

Good Luck and Happy Jeepin'
Hope this Helps.

TexasTaz38

If your anywhere close to the texas panhandle, PM me and maybe I can help hands-on.
you are so helpful thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it. I will see if I can get my hands on a 96 or lower gasket and see if I can make it fit. I’ll report back!

thank you again
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Alex Arcara
Hey guys, really really frustrating problem I'm having right now and I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 1997 XJ that needs the rear glass replaced on the hatch. I went to the junkyard and got replacement glass, but the problem is the gasket was destroyed in the process of removing the glass and literally every part dealer has discontinued the gasket. Can the 1996 gasket that does not need to be glued in work on the 97? If not, what can I do? Is my only option to buy a whole new hatch back for the jeep? Those are discontinued as well, so I would have to find one in a junkyard and repaint it. Do I just scrap the damn thing? Im really stuck, please help me!! Thanks
You might have a hard time with this.

I did my '96, its a conventional seal-over-lip design, and you remove or insert the glass with cord, then the gasket is re-usaeable no worries

Does the '97 have a sea-on-lip or bonded design

The hatches are different.

I have now learned officially never to mow behind a rear windscreen

Old 04-02-2019, 04:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Last year I swapped all the glass in my '00 to the factory privacy glass. I removed everything but the rear hatch glass from the boneyard donor. Had my glass guy remove the hatch glass, remove mine, and install the boneyard glass in mine. I dealt with the rest.
I was able to pick up the Mopar hatch glass molding from my dealership. They had to order it. Thinking it took a few days and ran me about $32.
I believe the part number to be 55175366AD.
Few places did say it was discontinued but I did find this:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5175366AD.html

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-par...ing-55175366ad

Last edited by Ralph77; 04-02-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Last year I swapped all the glass in my '00 to the factory privacy glass. I removed everything but the rear hatch glass from the boneyard donor. Had my glass guy remove the hatch glass, remove mine, and install the boneyard glass in mine. I dealt with the rest.
I was able to pick up the Mopar hatch glass molding from my dealership. They had to order it. Thinking it took a few days and ran me about $32.
I believe the part number to be 55175366AD.
Few places did say it was discontinued but I did find this:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5175366AD.html

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-par...ing-55175366ad
Ralph, you made an important statement. You had a glass guy remove the hatch glass. He removed the glass his self and destroyed the outer moulding. That moulding is no longer available from any of my suppliers. As your glass guy would probably tell you, he can probably replace the urethaned glass but it will require the use of a universal type moulding. I was offering him a possible alternative by using a pre-97 glass and moulding and roping the glass in. I believe the opening in the hatch is the same on both but have not done this on a post 96 glass. If the flange, or pinch weld, if you will was not changed, it should be doable.

I wish I was close enough to him to assist in the process but I don't know where he is or his expertise. I am going to try to do this project myself at the pic a part in Amarillo and see if it can be done by a non-professional so I will know for myself and assist fellow jeepers in the future.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I don't think pre 97 and 97+ glass are even close to the same shape. I personally would go to a junkyard and get a rubber moulding from one of those and stick the glass back in. Ya'll are saying everything is discontinued and can't be found, but there's junkyards of them out there.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Ralph, you made an important statement. You had a glass guy remove the hatch glass. He removed the glass his self and destroyed the outer moulding. That moulding is no longer available from any of my suppliers. As your glass guy would probably tell you, he can probably replace the urethaned glass but it will require the use of a universal type moulding. I was offering him a possible alternative by using a pre-97 glass and moulding and roping the glass in. I believe the opening in the hatch is the same on both but have not done this on a post 96 glass. If the flange, or pinch weld, if you will was not changed, it should be doable.

I wish I was close enough to him to assist in the process but I don't know where he is or his expertise. I am going to try to do this project myself at the pic a part in Amarillo and see if it can be done by a non-professional so I will know for myself and assist fellow jeepers in the future.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
I am a little confused. Best I can tell the molding is still available. I just bought one last year. A Mopar one. From my local dealership.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I am a little confused. Best I can tell the molding is still available. I just bought one last year. A Mopar one. From my local dealership.
Maybe the O.P. should call your dealership and check. Perhaps they'd be willing to ship it over to the O.P. or a local dealership.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Engine: I6

Safe lite offers rear glass replacement. Maybe call them and see if you can buy the moulding they use?