Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wont start plz plz plz help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wont start plz plz plz help

Hey fellow jeepers I'm having some serious problems wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions about two weeks ago I pulled my 96 heep under the carport and it sit bout a week went out to start it battery was dead so charged it tryed starting it would turn over fine but no start realized fuel pump wasn't coming on I had been having some trouble with ignition switch and had read ignition switch could cause fuel pump problems so I replaced ignition switch still fuel pump not working so I wired the fuel pump up on a toggle switch and is working fine now but still not starting Im not getting any fire so I then replaced the coil still nothing the cap rotor plugs and wires are new changed a CPS a month ago so basically all my ignition system is new but still no fire after looking and searching I found two wires on the plug to the ignition switch had got hot and melted together I separated them and checked both of them they are still both under power I have checked every fuse on the jeep and all are good so today I took it to a local mechanic shop they hooked computer to it and it wouldnt read it said no signal so looked at every fuse again all are good couldn't never get the computer scanner to read my jeep is a 96 4.0 auto I have replaced everything the only thing I haven't changed is the ECM has anyone else had this problem or think the ECM is the problem or is there's anything else to check or change Im wanting to wheel this weekend so any help will be much appreciated
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Just to be sure..You say you checked every "fuse" but how about the big black relays? And I will assume you checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Yes checked all fuses both under hood and under dash but have not checked any relays now that u mention that I did notice a weird almost grinding noise from under the dash when I turned the key off a couple if times think maybe a bad relay could be causing this may causing no power to the ECM that would prolly explain the fuel pump problem and not reading the scanner if the relay isn't letting power to the ECM?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Plugs to the ECM clean and tight? Good power and ground to it?
ASD relay working? Do you have power to the coil + connector?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I guess you need to break it down to the basics. 4 things an engine needs to run. Compression, spark, fuel, and air. I'm assuming u didn't magically lose compression with the jeep sitting for a week. You need to find out what u don't have. Maybe a mouse chewed its way into the air box? If u have no fuel or spark then start digging into wiring diagrams
Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by Xj moo
Yes checked all fuses both under hood and under dash but have not checked any relays now that u mention that...
The last time I had a no start problem like you mention I had blown one of the relays.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 AM

U remember which and where the relay that went bad on u the one I'm hearing making the weird noise is under the dash and how do u check a relay to make sure it is good
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 PM

End up being a bad ECM and 96 models don't interchange with any other year so couldn't find one in any local junk yards I hope this helps anyone else who had similar problems
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Hey fellow jeepers I'm having some serious problems wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions about two weeks ago I pulled my 96 heep under the carport and it sit bout a week went out to start it battery was dead so charged it tryed starting it would turn over fine but no start realized fuel pump wasn't coming on I had been having some trouble with ignition switch and had read ignition switch could cause fuel pump problems so I replaced ignition switch still fuel pump not working so I wired the fuel pump up on a toggle switch and is working fine now but still not starting Im not getting any fire so I then replaced the coil still nothing the cap rotor plugs and wires are new changed a CPS a month ago so basically all my ignition system is new but still no fire after looking and searching I found two wires on the plug to the ignition switch had got hot and melted together I separated them and checked both of them they are still both under power I have checked every fuse on the jeep and all are good so today I took it to a local mechanic shop they hooked computer to it and it wouldnt read it said no signal so looked at every fuse again all are good couldn't never get the computer scanner to read my jeep is a 96 4.0 auto I have replaced everything the only thing I haven't changed is the ECM has anyone else had this problem or think the ECM is the problem or is there's anything else to check or change Im wanting to wheel this weekend so any help will be much appreciated
Holy run-on sentence Batman! (I think that is a sentence, but those usually end with a period.)
You may find you get more responses if you take the time to proof read before you post.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Oh my apologies English professor, my lack of common grammar knowledge really affected my response rate! I'm certain that very few grown men, member this forum to critique others punctuation. Most people of this forum are helpful and friendly true lovers of the jeeps. Most are also supportive and will go the extra mile to lend a fellow jeeper! Then there's guys like u who are negative and always looking for the bad trying to bring others down. This is why members leave this forum and join others. I want to say thanks to all that tryed to help and posted I really appreciate you guys. I hope some day I can return the favor in some way. It's an honor to share this great forum with you guys. For u professor while the rest of us grown men are turning wrenches busting knuckles wheeling our rigs and loving them u sir go watch some more gay **** go to your Obama support group and book club meetings the rest of us will JEEP ON!!!
I hope my new article was more appealing to u and more of understanding than my previous and again my apologies!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Now, grammar and punctuation, I'm proud of ya!

My eyes thank you too.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

sorry xj moo but I have to agree with turbo it has less to do with being an English professor and a lot more to do with courtesy for the people who will be reading your posts i'm sure you will agree that even though its easier to type with no punctuation it sure makes it harder to read right
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Oh my apologies English professor, my lack of common grammar knowledge really affected my response rate! I'm certain that very few grown men, member this forum to critique others punctuation. Most people of this forum are helpful and friendly true lovers of the jeeps. Most are also supportive and will go the extra mile to lend a fellow jeeper! Then there's guys like u who are negative and always looking for the bad trying to bring others down. This is why members leave this forum and join others. I want to say thanks to all that tryed to help and posted I really appreciate you guys. I hope some day I can return the favor in some way. It's an honor to share this great forum with you guys. For u professor while the rest of us grown men are turning wrenches busting knuckles wheeling our rigs and loving them u sir go watch some more gay **** go to your Obama support group and book club meetings the rest of us will JEEP ON!!!
I hope my new article was more appealing to u and more of understanding than my previous and again my apologies!
So, you have the knowledge and capability to use punctuation. I don't understand why you didn't use it in the first place. It's a courtesy thing.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Smart remarks.

XJ moo, Hope you already have an answer to the problem , because smart remarks like that will turn us away. And you fired off at someone that could be your best help.
Punctuation, spaces and grammer make reading and understanding so much easier. Thank You.

Regards, Steve
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

All I know is, that first post was a tl;dr

Quick Reply: Wont start plz plz plz help