Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 XJ New Owner Needs Help Please

Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default '97 XJ New Owner Needs Help Please

Hey guys just bought my 1997 XJ this last week so I am a happy new Jeep owner. However I have a few concerns I was hoping you "interweb experts" could help me with. This is my first Jeep, first lifted vehicle and first oversized off road tire vehicle so please bare with me if any of this is "noobish" as I am a "noob".

-my first concern is the oil light on the dash comes on after start up and stays on anywhere from 10-30 seconds and then turns off...checked the oil, it is clean and at the correct level. I am confused if this is something to be concerned about or not and how to fix it. Another forum told me exactly what I thought it maybe just a low pressure on start up or possibly just a common problem with the cluster. Can anyone confirm?

-brakes work fine and feel great until just before I come to a complete stop or have to brake very hard...its not a shutter but more of a rough feeling or that the brakes are having trouble finishing the stop.

Not sure if the rotors need to be turned (supposedley done about 6 months ago), there's something in the pad (pad life appears healthy), rear brake drum issue or I don't know but maybe I need a rotor or full brake upgrade with the 3.5" lift and 33" mud tires cause the stock brakes are having issues bringing the large tires to a stop...????

-fuel gauge even when vehicle is filled until pump stops only reads to three quarters full...how can this be fixed? Another cluster issue? Simple sensor replacement? I can live with it being like this but would prefer to fix.

I want to get my XJ in top shape so I can continue modding it and enjoying it off road in confidence so your time and help is greatly appreciated!

Here's a pic:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Bump for some help!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

With the oil thing if you only have the idiot light I would definitely recommend upgrading to gauges http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...nt_Cluster.htm but as it stands to truly figure his out you need to get a mechanical gauge and hook it up where your o.p. sending unit is to verify the pressure. You could take a shot in the dark and just replace the sending unit to see if that fixes it. Up to you. As far as the brakes go thy were marginal at best, just adequate for stock tires. With 33s you are pushing the master cylinder which is why people upgrade to a 99+ grand Cherokee master cylinder and booster set up. Likely though the roughness and what not you're experiencing is rotor related. As for the fuel gauge if someone replaced the fuel pump they probably bent the float rod attached to the sender, if not its likely a bad sender. Welcome and good luck

Last edited by Slick761; 08-22-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I can weight in on the fuel gauge. On a 97+ you'll need to drop the fuel tank and clean the fuel level sensor on the sending unit in the tank. Removing and cleaning the sensor isn't a big deal, but dropping the tank is a PITA. there's some write ups on here on how to do it with pics. If I were you, if it's reading at at least 3/4 of a tank, I would leave it until you have to do something necessary like change the fuel pump, but that's me. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Oil pressure is an indication of engine health. Older cars I've had, the light might flicker or come on idling when it's HOT. So I guess It's good yours is different! Maybe it is the sensor or something. Actually testing it with a gauge I think would be a good thing to start with. There is a relief valve....other guys here might be helpful with that. Sounds like it may be sticking. You want to check it and be sure, the whole engine is at stake.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Yes, with just a light you really should verify with a gauge. If you change the unit and it goes away then good but I would still verify. I don't feel comfortable at all with dummy lights. I'm happy my laredo came with gauges, if it hadn't I would have converted though.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Having just replaced the fuel module unit on my 97, fixed my 3/4 tank issue i was also having. Either a bad sending unit or bent float connecting rod. Wasn't as bad as I thought to replace, goes pretty smooth if you have a tranny jack and run the tank dry (or pump to gas can) took about 2-3 hours total, the worst part for me was cleaning the sand dunes around the old module, had a small hill on the garage floor after! Welcome to the sickness.....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone, greatly appreciated.

For the oil light sounds like I need to figure out what's what and check some things out.

The brakes sounds like I need a brake master cylinder and brake booster upgrade soon. I also hope (probably like everyone else) to do a rear disc conversion soon.

If I find someone to help and have the time I may tackle the gas gauge but thinking that can wait lol. Good to know how to fix it though.

Thanks again everyone! Excited about my XJ and what's ahead!