Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97+ removed doors wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97+ removed doors wiring question

So I removed the doors off of my 2000 XJ yesterday. Went smooth, its actually really easy to do. I removed the pins and left the hinges unmodified. For now I am using quick pins and they work great, door alignes decent and all that. I have all power options so I took the screws out of the kickplate and removed the rubber from the door where the wires feed through. So all I have to do now when removing the doors is diconnect them from the sockets and pull them through the hole. Piece of cake. I dont know why people even bother with making disconects. I rather just remove the kickplate. It takes 10 seconds. Anyway, My question is this: after removing the doors and disconecting the wiring the rear windows dont work. Is this because the electricals are on a closed circuit and its either all working or none? Is there a way to send the signal so that the rear still go up and down without the front doors being pluged in? Or am I missing something and that is why you make disconects ? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

It's prob cause of the master window switch. There is a little harness that you can bypass down behind that kick panel you removed it has a yellow, beige and black wire going into It. Use a paper clip to jump the yellow and beige wire together. It's totally safe and works to allow passengers to use their windows if/when the master window switch stops working properly. So my thought is that this will essentially allow you to keep operating the rear windows! If ya need a pic I'll post one..
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Power to the rear window motors goes through the drivers switch panel. With the door removed/ switch panel removed, there is no way for the power to get to the back doors. Im not sure how to bypass that but dig into the wiring diagram/ schematics and trace wires from the fuse block to the drivers switch assembly. From there figure out what wire(s) power the back doors and do up a jumper of some sort. Or you can straight wire power to the rear switches. Just run a wire from the fuse block to the "power in" terminal on the rear switch. That is how I trouble shoot window switches/ motors anyways and its easy to do if you can use a multi meter or a test light.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Ha! VT, you beat me to it!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
It's prob cause of the master window switch. There is a little harness that you can bypass down behind that kick panel you removed it has a yellow, beige and black wire going into It. Use a paper clip to jump the yellow and beige wire together. It's totally safe and works to allow passengers to use their windows if/when the master window switch stops working properly. So my thought is that this will essentially allow you to keep operating the rear windows! If ya need a pic I'll post one..
Exactly what I was looking to hear. I am not good with electricals but I know which harness you are talking about. I will jump it tonight. If you have pics I would love to see that just to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thanks a bunch
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Ok. 3 min... Gotta move over to the iPod where pic is!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

This little guy right here

Edit. I got sick of using etape to hold it in place, so I just snipped, stripped and soldered a short piece of speaker wire between the two. Solid and legit. I'll have to go snap my own pic of that (the pic here is not my own, just FYI..)
Attached Images  

Last edited by VTJeep; 03-16-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
This little guy right here

Edit. I got sick of using etape to hold it in place, so I just snipped, stripped and soldered a short piece of speaker wire between the two. Solid and legit. I'll have to go snap my own pic of that (the pic here is not my own, just FYI..)
Now that's solid info. Couldn't be easier. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Year: 1998

Not tring to steal the post but Im having kinda the same problem but with my pass door.
This link is for my door locks. that need help also
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/sandman4182/?action=view¤t=HTC1301.mp4

This is for the Windows
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/sandman4182/?action=view¤t=HTC1304.mp4

Please help. FYI I like Pictures to help.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I saw somebody recently who moved all their buttons (windows/mirrors/locks) to the dash left of tgr steering wheel. Kinda cool I thought.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TitletownXJ
Not tring to steal the post but Im having kinda the same problem but with my pass door.
This link is for my door locks. that need help also
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/sandman4182/?action=view¤t=HTC1301.mp4

This is for the Windows
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/sandman4182/?action=view¤t=HTC1304.mp4

Please help. FYI I like Pictures to help.
His is because of removing doors. It's different from your issue. Wish I could help you.