Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Jeep Xj airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 97 Jeep Xj airbag light

This light has been driving me crazy for a while. Since the weather is better I decided to try and fix it. I checked the clock spring with a continuity test and it seems fine, but I noticed that when I start the car or turn the key to the on position that my seatbelt light goes one for a moment, and then goes off. No steatbelt buckle is plugged in. Plugging it in and out doesn't turn on the light. I'm thinking my seatbelt light is causing the airbag light to turn on.

What can cause a seatbelt light to turn off when there's no seatbelt plugged in?
Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

You might actually check with your local Jeep stealership as well. I believe, if memory serves, that it could be a timed maintenance issue. And I want to say it's a confirmation about every 10 years(ish) cycle. Don't know if our XJ's are the same when it comes to that, but I have seen that in other vehicles before, and the stealership will just verify that all is still good and reset the light. I thought it was mandatory because of the material that the folded/non-deployed airbags are packed with. that "dust" is a special chemical that keeps it from getting damaged with all the vibration of normal driving.

Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
You might actually check with your local Jeep stealership as well. I believe, if memory serves, that it could be a timed maintenance issue. And I want to say it's a confirmation about every 10 years(ish) cycle. Don't know if our XJ's are the same when it comes to that, but I have seen that in other vehicles before, and the stealership will just verify that all is still good and reset the light. I thought it was mandatory because of the material that the folded/non-deployed airbags are packed with. that "dust" is a special chemical that keeps it from getting damaged with all the vibration of normal driving.

Just a thought.
Problem is the stealership costs money and I'm trying to avoid them. Plus I doubt they'll be friendly with telling me in detail what the problem is. I did remove the drivers seat to look at the buckle and clean it, but it's just a switch and it seems to operate normally. Shorts for no seat belt, and unshorts with it buckled. But just in case I soaked it in derust fluid and removed the carpet cause I broke a bolt that holds the chair in. Then I find holes on my floor which I had to weld closed. I go in to try to fix one problem, I find more problems.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

My Cherokee you can kinda get the key stuck between crank and run and it will turn the air bag light on. Does your radio and stuff come on?