Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

does the `96 jeep cherokee have airbag dash light ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default does the `96 jeep cherokee have airbag dash light ?

failed on a warrant of fitness check because the airbag light doesnt work BUT I CANT FIND ONE ... is it true that the 96 doesnt have an airbag dash light ?
it is a 1996 jeep cherokee limited edition

Last edited by Louleebelle; 10-10-2017 at 01:40 AM. Reason: missed out some information
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The US version 1996 has an driver airbag but it's purely mechanical; no electrical components, light etc. It's all in the steering wheel hub. If the NZ version is like that you might need to get something from Chrysler to give the inspection people, it's an unusual system
Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Louleebelle
failed on a warrant of fitness check because the airbag light doesnt work BUT I CANT FIND ONE ... is it true that the 96 doesnt have an airbag dash light ?
it is a 1996 jeep cherokee limited edition
Unless it is a mandated safety requirement in NZ, a 1996 Cherokee does not have an instrument panel airbag light, I know, I have a 96 Cherokee. Also, you say you have a Limited. There was no Cherokee Limited. There was a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited. The only models for the Cherokee in 96 were the base model, Sport and Country. I do recall I believe the international model of what was the Grand Cherokee here in the US may have been called just a Cherokee overseas. If you actually have what would be here, a Grand Cherokee, it may have had an airbag light. In that case, if it did have one, it would be indicated in the owners manual in the diagram explaining what the instrument panel indicators are for. HTH's.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If you have an XJ, the airbag light isnt working because the 95-96 XJ did not have one. The airbag was 100% mechanical, no wires, no computer. You arm/disarm the airbag by simply turning an arming screw on top of the airbag itself (from outside the vehicle). Because there is no airbag light, the only way to check that the airbag is working is to hit something really hard. I dont recommend doing that, btw.

Just to be sure of which model you have...

This is an XJ. No airbag light for 95-96. Only the 97-01 XJ have an airbag light.

This is a ZJ. These have all had an airbag light since 1993.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 10-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

good to know, also have a 96 and didn't know this.

so the airbag triggers itself when the impact is strong enough? I hit a toyota a couple years back, going maybe 10mph in traffic and was glad it did not deploy. alsmost wondered if it actually worked but this would explain it maybe. I don't know the force it takes to trigger it normally
Old 10-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1996 XJ classic - air bag

[QUOTE=jpk;3430002]Unless it is a mandated safety requirement in NZ, a 1996 Cherokee does not have an instrument panel airbag light, I know, I have a 96 Cherokee. Also, you say you have a Limited. There was no Cherokee Limited. There was a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited. The only models for the Cherokee in 96 were the base model, Sport and Country. I do recall I believe the international model of what was the Grand Cherokee here in the US may have been called just a Cherokee overseas. If you actually have what would be here, a Grand Cherokee, it may have had an airbag light. In that case, if it did have one, it would be indicated in the owners manual in the

Does anyone know how the spring in the bag of the airbag is installed? Was changing out the clock spring and came apart.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

[QUOTE=Marcos Antonio Galvan;3577147]
Originally Posted by jpk
Unless it is a mandated safety requirement in NZ, a 1996 Cherokee does not have an instrument panel airbag light, I know, I have a 96 Cherokee. Also, you say you have a Limited. There was no Cherokee Limited. There was a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited. The only models for the Cherokee in 96 were the base model, Sport and Country. I do recall I believe the international model of what was the Grand Cherokee here in the US may have been called just a Cherokee overseas. If you actually have what would be here, a Grand Cherokee, it may have had an airbag light. In that case, if it did have one, it would be indicated in the owners manual in the

Does anyone know how the spring in the bag of the airbag is installed? Was changing out the clock spring and came apart.
Good question. I never took that cover off before. Being plastic, the spring may have left a mark in the plastic. Just by looking at that cover, that spring likely fits over the post on the right, and one arm of the spring looks like it points downward. The other arm is held against the other post, so you have to squeeze the spring together a bit. How the lever on the airbag itself fits into all that, i dont know. Any marks on it from the end of the spring? Thats the only way i could figure it out as i have never seen that cover removed. i can only guess that because there is an opening in the cover, that that lever points towards it. But like said, i dont know. Being an airbag, i hate to giess, but since the cover popped off, thats all i can do.