Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A little help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A little help please.

Hi guys/gals,

I recently purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited with Selec-Trac. When I test drove the Jeep I tested the part and full time 4X4 systems. I noticed the amber and green (part and full time 4X4) lights on the dash as I moved the transfer case shifter. As I shifted back into 2 wheel drive, the 4x4 lights went out as they should. A few days later, (after purchasing it) I was driving down a gravel road in 2 wheel drive, I noticed that the amber part time light was on. I looked at the transfer case shifter and it showed that I was still in 2 wheel drive. I stopped the Jeep, and moved the shifter to 4 then back to 2. The light went out. I continued for the rest of the day without any problems. The next morning I got up and noticed the Amber PART TIME light was on again. I shifted into 4X4 mode and then back into 2X4 but the amber part time light stayed lit. Now it seems that the part time light is on constantly. If I shift to full time 4X4, the green idicator illuminates. If I move the shifter back to part time 4 OR 2 wheel drive the amber light stays on.
Does this mean there is something wrong with the switch OR is the truck actually in part time 4X4 mode? I read the owners manual and it indicates that I should not run on part time 4x4 mode.

Thanks guys!

Todd
Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check your shift linkage on your TCase, it happens often enough that the linkage goes bad and as a result the TCase isnt working properly.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Hmmm.... the switches were notorious for having issues... The switch for the lights is seperate from the actual shifting mechanism. But if you are actually in one of the 4wd modes, you can tell it when driving.. Try a couple tight turn arounds or a figure 8. If you feel the Jeep bucking a little bit, than you are in 4wd still. Another way to test the disengagement from Part time is to put the T-case in Neutral, and the tranny in drive or first. Try to drive. If you can't the T-case is in Neutral.

The T-case itself is mechanically shifted where the dash lights use that electric switch. The early models used a vaccuum one which had issues when there were vaccuum leaks...

You have to move the lever through the full-time position to get to the part time positions.