Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ,,2.5 engine,,, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default 96 XJ,,2.5 engine,,, no spark

Ok,,
This IS the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered with my XJ.

On Friday I went and started my XJ up to warm it up before I left work. It started fine and was happily purring away when I went back inside to log out. In the 5 minutes I was gone something happened. What,,, I have no idea but when I went back outside to drive home it was not running. So I messsed with it a bbit then just got a ride home as it was gettn dark. Today I had a buddy come and check the codes and he determined it was the CPS. So I went and got a new one,,, put it in and still no spark or start. Everything works but there just isn't any fire getting to the plugs.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

I'm REALLY getting frustrated with this issue.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Have you check to make sure your ecm plugs are in and not loose or damaged? Check your distributor cap for cracks and check your rotor for wear/damage
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

On the 2.5 the CPS wires are ran pretty damn close to the exhaust manifold. You need to check the wires on the CPS for damage, mine were bare metal when i had a problem out of mine. Covered them back up and rerouted the wire and havent had a problem since.

Also, have you check for fuel? You're fuel pump may have went out, or your fuel filter.

Have you physically checked to see if the plugs are getting spark? Pull the plug wire and hold it close to the engine block while somebody turns the motor over. If you see a spark, you got spark.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
On the 2.5 the CPS wires are ran pretty damn close to the exhaust manifold. You need to check the wires on the CPS for damage, mine were bare metal when i had a problem out of mine. Covered them back up and rerouted the wire and havent had a problem since.

Also, have you check for fuel? You're fuel pump may have went out, or your fuel filter.

Have you physically checked to see if the plugs are getting spark? Pull the plug wire and hold it close to the engine block while somebody turns the motor over. If you see a spark, you got spark.
================================================== =
Everything is fine,, no bare wires,, it is getting fuel,, I DO NEED new plugs but as I said,, it was running. I did pull a plug,,,and cranked it over,,, NO SPARK,,, I am thinking coil maybe.
It's getting towed this afternoon to my buddies garage. I am tired of laying on the ground in the cold trying to fix it.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by 96XJ2Door
================================================== =
Everything is fine,, no bare wires,, it is getting fuel,, I DO NEED new plugs but as I said,, it was running. I did pull a plug,,,and cranked it over,,, NO SPARK,,, I am thinking coil maybe.
It's getting towed this afternoon to my buddies garage. I am tired of laying on the ground in the cold trying to fix it.

That would be the best thing to do. A heated garage is alot better working space than the cold outside. Pull the distributor cap and take a look at it as well. I'd also recommend re-routing those CPS wires away from the exhaust manifold while you're under there. Will save you some headache in the future.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
That would be the best thing to do. A heated garage is alot better working space than the cold outside. Pull the distributor cap and take a look at it as well. I'd also recommend re-routing those CPS wires away from the exhaust manifold while you're under there. Will save you some headache in the future.
============================================
I will most definately be moving the CPS wires for sure. Several people told me this as well as hearing it here. Hopefully I will be hearing today what the issue is. And dig this,,, now the wifes TJ is in the garage too. The damn Tcase chain is slipping. So I went and picked up a good used one yesterday for hers.
Man,,, when crap goes wrong,,, it really goes wrong. So we will be without ANY 4 x 4 vehicles during the killer snow-storm we have coming tonite till wed nite.
Guess we each take a day off work,, hahahahaha

Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 AM

I wanted to post the cause earlier but needed to go out of town for my job.

The cause of the "no spark" ended up being the coil pack.
But I did put on a new CPS and a tune up kit. Plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor.

She runs like a champ again and my gas mileage has improved as well as my power.

Just an FYI if anyone cares.