Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cherokee Wouldn't Turn Over. Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Cherokee Wouldn't Turn Over. Fuel Issue?

Drove to school, was inside for hour and a half - two hours max, came out and turned the key and the engine wouldnt turn over. I checked some posts and I tried jiggling the shifter as I turned it on, and tried it in neutral, both failed.
I could however give it some gas and it would turn over but instantly would turn back off if I released the gas pedal.

The battery seemed fine, everything electrical worked. I had someone from my Campus Safety come and jump it with a portable charger seeing as it couldn't hurt. Did the same things but this time I tried just holding the gas pedal just enough to keep it running for maybe 3-4 minutes then eventually took the foot off the pedal and it stayed on. I drove it home which is like a 24 mile drive.

It seems to me this may be a fuel related issue. Should I get the battery, alternator, starter tested tomorrow or should I be looking in a different direction?

Last edited by fitnessXJ; 02-10-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

When you turn the key to the "on" position can you hear the fuel pump priming?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

IAC.

Clean it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

From what you said, after a bit of deciphering (needed due to your poor English skills), it appears that your engine had no problem at all turning over.

"Turning over" means exactly that - the internal engine parts are rotated by the starter. It does not mean starting, and it does not mean running.

What you seem to be describing is the engine starting, but not continuing to run.

If your problem is that the engine starts, then dies, you should say that your problem is that the engine starts, then dies.

If you don't describe your problem accurately, don't expect to get coherent advice.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
From what you said, after a bit of deciphering (needed due to your poor English skills), it appears that your engine had no problem at all turning over.

"Turning over" means exactly that - the internal engine parts are rotated by the starter. It does not mean starting, and it does not mean running.

What you seem to be describing is the engine starting, but not continuing to run.

If your problem is that the engine starts, then dies, you should say that your problem is that the engine starts, then dies.

If you don't describe your problem accurately, don't expect to get coherent advice.
My apologies if my English was hard to decipher, thank you for clarifying so I can better place my troubleshooting question. I should have started with saying that I am still learning how to work on vehicles, hence why I am on these forums to learn. I'm not too entirely sure the exact technical terms but will try to explain them to the best of my understanding.

So to clarify, my engine originally would not start until I pressed the gas pedal down and held it for a few minutes then released and the engine stayed on. Prior to that if I pressed the pedal down then released the engine would not start.

I wondering where I should begin to start diagnosing and troubleshooting this issue.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
When you turn the key to the "on" position can you hear the fuel pump priming?
I just went outside and tried this. I am pretty sure I am able to hear the fuel pump priming as when I turn it to the on position I can hear a short 1-2 second "whirring" noise.

I did also try to start it up again and it started up just fine after it was sitting for about 4 hours since I got home.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HudsonN
IAC.

Clean it.

That's where I would start.

FitnessXJ- we were all new to this at one time.
IAC = Idle Air Controller. It bypasses air around the throttle plate to keep the motor idling without your foot on the gas.

Some pics here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/idl...c-valve-80176/

Also found this video (wrangler, but the same engine)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:50 AM

Thank you for the information Radi and HudsonN, I will look into that hopefully tomorrow. Appreciate the help.