Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check Engine Light On - 2 Codes P0700 and P0705

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Check Engine Light On - 2 Codes P0700 and P0705

Hello everyone! Hoping someone can give me a hand on this!

Bought my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 3 days ago, the 2 times i test drove it i never had an issue with the CEL being on. About half way home from buying it the CEL comes on... Well it was still running/driving/shifting fine so i figured it wasnt anything to be to alarmed about.

When i got home i threw my code reader on it and this is what i got

--P0700 *Transmission control system malfunction indicator lamp request*
--P0705 *Sensor a circuit park/reverse/neutral/drive low input*

Thank you for any advice you guys can give me!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

check tranny fluid level...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

i hate people that sell cars like that. They cleared the damn light b4 u took it. Certain codes take a little to set. They were hiding something. Never seen those codes b4 so idk what they are off hand.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Default P0705

Hi, The P0705 error code relates to the transmission range switch and apparently occurs sometimes along with a P0700 code--also transmission. I have a 97 Cherokee and here are the symptoms: Faulty backup lights; they usually don't work but occasionally do. Others with Cherokees have had them come on at odd times when not in reverse. If I'm driving and the check engine light comes on from a P0705, the car will lock out overdrive. It will go into 3rd, then lock up the torque convertor. Easy to tell based on tach rpms versus normal operation. Some report reduced mileage; well if you can't engage overdrive, guess what (duh). However on my car, if it just stays on after a startup, overdrive engages properly. So if it comes on, pull over stop and restart the car. That works for me.
So for my own vehicle, I'm convinced the faulty backup lights, CEL and error code are all a result of a sloppy Neutral Safety Switch on the transmission. there is a link available somewhere on the web to remove and repair. Some have had good luck, others find the CEL comes on again soon after. Probably the best solution is a new swtich but the price on these is in the $300 range. Occasionally one can be found on Ebay for half that. Either way it is a steep price to pay for a damn switch but that is probably the only solution to really fix the problem. BTW the switch has many fucntions including backup lights, neutral safety and range selection. Regarding the post condemning people who sell faulty cars, this switch issue comes and goes. My check engine light will come for a couple days then be off for weeks. So, your seller may have seen it come on and go off but, it is off more than on so I would not blame the seller in this case. Summary: find the repair procedure on the web for the NSS and try that, or buy and install a new switch. A common issue with jeeps. Cheers..
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

If the NSS is your problem, try this. >NSS rebuild
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Sounds good guys! Thanks for the tips! The problems that you are stating are what i am having, no back up lights. When i was driving home i thought it wasnt shifting into over drive on the Highway but since i have only had the car for about 4 days i have no clue what the RPM's should be at highway speeds. They aren't running obscenely high or anything, they are just about the same as my dads 2000 Dakota 3.9l V6. If someone with a similar yr car could just take a look next time they are driving on the highway at 60-70mph what rps they are running it would be much appreciated!

I went and looked for a new NSS at autozone today and sure enough its a 235$ part! DAMN!!! haha thought these cars were easy and cheap to work on!

Im hopeing the parts jeep i am buying has a good one on it but i have my doubts because it is a bit older and also has the 5 Speed manual tranny in it... can always hope for the but but im almost surtain its not ganna have what i need to fix this problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by InfinitySound
Sounds good guys! Thanks for the tips! The problems that you are stating are what i am having, no back up lights. When i was driving home i thought it wasnt shifting into over drive on the Highway but since i have only had the car for about 4 days i have no clue what the RPM's should be at highway speeds. They aren't running obscenely high or anything, they are just about the same as my dads 2000 Dakota 3.9l V6. If someone with a similar yr car could just take a look next time they are driving on the highway at 60-70mph what rps they are running it would be much appreciated!

I went and looked for a new NSS at autozone today and sure enough its a 235$ part! DAMN!!! haha thought these cars were easy and cheap to work on!

Im hopeing the parts jeep i am buying has a good one on it but i have my doubts because it is a bit older and also has the 5 Speed manual tranny in it... can always hope for the but but im almost surtain its not ganna have what i need to fix this problem.

around 65mph i think is about 2k rpms and i have a brand new never installed nss for sale $100 plus shipping
Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 PM

thanks again everyone for the input! First off im going to try and see if i can get the one on there to work properly without throwing codes, i hope it is as simple as adjusting it! But as we all know no amount of hoping is going to make it come true. Just going to have to get up under it and see whats going on.

The main reason i think it might just need to be adjusted is because if i push the shifter forward so its even a lil past park it will start up using the key, but its usually just easier to use the button someone installed to manually crank the starter.

wish me luck!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM

My 97 turns about 2000 rpm at 60 mph in OD with torque convertor locked up. In 3rd, also with torque convertor locked up, it is turning about 2600 rpm. Aside from the final rpm, just watch the rpm gauge and "feel" the shifts when accelerating. You should get three shifts and a lockup to be in OD. If you only get two, you are not making it to OD.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

GOT IT FIXED WOOT WOOT!!!! The two codes it was throwing were both caused by the NSS. Took a little bit of time to finally get the damn thing pried off but it eventually came out. Got it pulled apart and cleaned! Works great now!

Had a little trouble getting it adjusted correctly "working on it by myself" but i finally found an easy way to get it. I simply shifted it into reverse and adjusted it till i could see the reverse lights turning on. At least i knew that it was in the ballpark. Then i would crawl out from under the jeep and try park and neutral start. Got it on the 2nd try.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

That's good to hear.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

just got a 97 same issue. so clean the NSS before I go and buy a trans range sensor huh??
Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Engine: 4.0L
Default Codes related to P0700/P0740/P0743 but NSS switch is fine

I'm a newbie to this forum and find it very helpful.

I have a 98 Cherokee that has the same issue. The codes are P0700, P0740 and P0743. The later points to Torque converter solenoid circuit.

The NSS switch is working perfect as I can start the vehicle from neutral and also the reverse lights come on properly.

The torque converter seems to engage properly at 45/48 mph as I see the rpm drop.

I'm thinking that it needs a newer solenoid and not a Torque converter. The original OEM solenoid from Toyota (I'm thinking the transmission is AW4) is difficult to get. I was wondering if I should go with a local brand and try it without looking into replacing the torque converter.

Any thoughts appreciated
Old 02-04-2015, 04:26 PM

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by narsi
I'm a newbie to this forum and find it very helpful.

I have a 98 Cherokee that has the same issue. The codes are P0700, P0740 and P0743. The later points to Torque converter solenoid circuit.

The NSS switch is working perfect as I can start the vehicle from neutral and also the reverse lights come on properly.

The torque converter seems to engage properly at 45/48 mph as I see the rpm drop.

I'm thinking that it needs a newer solenoid and not a Torque converter. The original OEM solenoid from Toyota (I'm thinking the transmission is AW4) is difficult to get. I was wondering if I should go with a local brand and try it without looking into replacing the torque converter.

Any thoughts appreciated
Did you figure out your P0740 code? Did a solenoid fix it? Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM

Default p0705

I did this rebuild yesterday. I used a youtube viedo provided by bleepinjeep. Here is the link

It was really great. The codes didn't go away on their own so I erased this morning, I'll update if they reappear. The nss cleaning went well but I had a very hard time removing the piece, in particular separating the wiring from the ties. I also had to redo once, I used bulb grease the first time and I didn't have a connection, so I took it apart a second time and used dialectric grease, I thought the two were the same, but for some reason it worked the second time. The reverse lights worked. Again, I'll update this if the codes reappear, for now I would only expect p0700.

Originally Posted by ol"blue
If the NSS is your problem, try this. >NSS rebuild

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light On - 2 Codes P0700 and P0705