Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 4.0 No start - rapid clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 4.0 No start - rapid clicking

Went to start her this morning and the battery was flat (probably due to the stupid aftermarket alarm). Just a slow churn of the starter, didn't fire.

OK, on with the jump leads. Let the charge build for a couple of minutes, donor vehicle at 1500rpm (wife on the throttle) and went for it. Same result. Checked all round, good connections. Still no start.

After a few slow churns, I now get nothing but click-click-click-click from the starter/starter solenoid. I'm going to take the battery out when I get back from work and stick on the charger. Is there anything wrong with the starter motor?

thanks all!
Morat
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

prolly just your battery is dead as zombies.... a little juice left to walk around but not enough to do anything worth while
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Morat
Went to start her this morning and the battery was flat (probably due to the stupid aftermarket alarm). Just a slow churn of the starter, didn't fire.

OK, on with the jump leads. Let the charge build for a couple of minutes, donor vehicle at 1500rpm (wife on the throttle) and went for it. Same result. Checked all round, good connections. Still no start.

After a few slow churns, I now get nothing but click-click-click-click from the starter/starter solenoid. I'm going to take the battery out when I get back from work and stick on the charger. Is there anything wrong with the starter motor?

thanks all!
Morat
Jump starting a dead battery isn't the best way to go. It might or might not start, but even if it does, you still have a dead battery in there. You could even damage the rescue cars' alternator.
Your alternator isn't a proper battery charger either.. It only runs the electricals on the car once the battery has started it. At best it 'trickle charges' the battery to keep it topped off. So, even if it starts, the battery may re-start it a time or two, but you really need to put a proper charge on it, or replace it with a new one, or sooner or later you'll be replacing an alternator too.
As stated above, you should fix the problem that's killing it.. if nothing else, at least a battery dc switch. Just my $0.02
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

time for a new battery.