Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96' 2-door, drivers side not closing all the way

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 96' 2-door, drivers side not closing all the way

Hi all!

I recently got a great deal on a 1996 XJ and I can't be happier! However, the car does need some work.

First thing I want to fix is the driver's side door. It doesn't close all the way and to get it sorta closed, I have to hold the inside handle open and push down the latch in the door. I know it is something wrong with the door since the body around the door is great and the door fits in the correct space.

Any ideas on what door parts I need to replace and how would I start that?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

First off - congrats on your new XJ and welcome to the forum!

To answer your door question, and provide a common "new owner" recommendation - get yourself a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's like a Haynes manual on steroids and the one that the Jeep dealer mechanics reference. You can find one at a reasonable price at PacificCoastManuals.com or look around for a free PDF.
You'll likely have to open the door up to see what's wrong - stuff like that is often pretty obvious once you are looking at it.
Rockauto.com is a good source for parts, but depending on what's wrong you may have to find a junkyard.

A common issue on the XJ is for the upper hinge to separate from the body on the driver's side door, especially with the big and heavy doors used on the 2 door model. Keep an eye out for this - though you said the body seems in good condition.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thanks Pat!

I will look into getting a manual! And I’ll open up the door tomorrow and take a look.

How would I take off the door panel and get to the mechanics inside? I have worked on a 06 Liberty in the past and would just use a trim tool to get the panel out. Is it pretty much the same way?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by mattpk23
Thanks Pat!

I will look into getting a manual! And I’ll open up the door tomorrow and take a look.

How would I take off the door panel and get to the mechanics inside? I have worked on a 06 Liberty in the past and would just use a trim tool to get the panel out. Is it pretty much the same way?

Thanks!
I think so for the most part. Look around for any hidden screws - such as for the arm rest. Manual window cranks should have a snap clip behind them that are a pain to get out.

The FSM will have detailed diagrams and instructions.

I'll take a look in mine and see what's up when I get a chance.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

All the 96 and older XJ window cranks ive come across didnt use clips. The had tabs you had to spread open. I think theyre a PITA. You can use a screwdriver like the guy below, or try yanking on them really hard.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

96 manual cranks do not have clips, rings, or other locking devices. They are simply plastic on the window crank handle that slides over a metal shaft with splines. You remove them by pulling on them with firm even pressure. Take care not to pull them at an angle or tug on them in an direction other than straight off the shaft. Otherwise, you run the risk of breaking the plastic. Once you have had them off 1 or 2 times, they get a little easier and the risk of breaking them reduces. There is a little decorative ring that fits between the handle and the door panel to help hide the shaft and give a cleaner appearance. When you finally get the crank handle off, the ring is designed to fly off, bounce into your face, and roll to the furthest area under the vehicle, unreachable by human hands.