Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine side panel dented in stopping door from opening all the way.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine side panel dented in stopping door from opening all the way.

I think the door got slammed open a bit too hard, and it made this side part above the wheel dent in, and the door is unable to open correctly, I was thinking, maybe I could remove the side panel if possible with screws under the hood and see if there are some more maybe underneath or behind the head light.

If not, where should I start in trying to remove this dent?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I think you mean Fender? I'm no real help fixing that right. Just to make it work you might use a carpenters "flat bar" , to pry the bent edge of the fender back out. More than a few times, on more than a few rigs, I pry the fender edge out, then hit the "ridge" with a hammer, to get the lip back out. It's a little "counter intuitive" In any case you want the fender edge back up/out. I've never "fixed" one right.

Curious, 89 or a 90?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-19-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I think you mean Fender? I'm no real help fixing that right. Just to make it work you might use a carpenters "flat bar" , to pry the bent edge of the fender back out. More than a few times, on more than a few rigs, I pry the fender edge out, then hit the "ridge" with a hammer, to get the lip back out. It's a little "counter intuitive" In any case you want the fender edge back up/out. I've never "fixed" one right.

Curious, 89 or a 90?
Oh my, I was trying to think of the word to call that for the longest time, and couldn't think of it, and It's a 96, I've had it for about 2 years, and getting it for free since it was pretty messed up, and I've since only done minimal repair work, replacing what goes wrong, but I've decided I want to try and fix it up, and this, along with a really badly bent front bumper are the only two baddly damaged parts of the body, the paint is also almost non existed on the hood and top.

I'll try prying it out, I'm not worrying about the paint on it or anything, since I plan to repaint it soon.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

96! I get it now. Jeep/AMC was using the same crap Chrysler paint before Chrysler bought Jeep.

Yep, it can be done. Might come out neater if you remove the door...Bending the fender edge OUT is the goal. (good and out)