Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 Cherokee Country Overheating issue

Old 01-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 Cherokee Country Overheating issue

Let me start first by stating it IS NOT a head gasket issue. No milky residue on I stick white smoke out the back or any of the usual signs. Now I drove it home and right before I got to a hill by my house it hit the red. Parked it after limping it the rest of the way and left it. Come back out today with my uncle/mechanic. Started it and he noticed the coolant fan doesn't work. Also was missing a coolant reservoir cap and the vacuum line along the right side by the headlight was cracked. Hit the local scrapyard found a country with the same motor etc. Snagged a brand new radiator cap, reservoir cap and vacuum line. Got back home put all these in and still getting close to the red... Bled all the air bubbles out of the radiator cap but still the issue remains. I'm thinking the coolant fan not working and possibly the thermostat stuck open? Possibly the water pump? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated

SIMPER FI
Old 01-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which fan isn't working? Efan or mechanical?

Get the fans sorted. How bad is the coolant? Overheating could be a multitude of things, plugged radiator, bad water pump, stuck thermostat. Is there coolant in the hoses coming off of the WP and thermostat? Can you feel pressure?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Honestly, if the cooling system is still original to the vehicle (if you don't know, then it is best to assume that it is original) it's probably not worth trying to troubleshoot it down to the individual components.

Good of time to replace the water pump, radiator hoses, t-stat, fan clutch, coolant and probably the serp belt. Please use mopar equipment for this job, third party stuff really doesn't get the job done well as OEM as far as coolant system is concerned. I think you can get everything for right about 300 bucks and if you do the work yourself that's all you will pay.

cheers!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I have a 95 Country and when my radiated failed I did all of the above and deleted the heater control valve as well.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by elwoodblues
Which fan isn't working? Efan or mechanical?

Get the fans sorted. How bad is the coolant? Overheating could be a multitude of things, plugged radiator, bad water pump, stuck thermostat. Is there coolant in the hoses coming off of the WP and thermostat? Can you feel pressure?

Its the left fan (if you are sitting in the driver seat) coolant is flowing pretty decent and hoses I can feel pressure in them as well.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 PM

That is the auxiliary or efan, it is supposed to turn on at certain temp or when the a/c is on. If you start the vehicle unplug the fan since it isn't working and put a meter on the plug using DC volts turn the a/c on. If you have power there the fan is bad, if no power is present I think there is a relay in the fuse box under the hood by the coolant reservoir it may not be picking to send power to the fan.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Stephen Black
Its the left fan (if you are sitting in the driver seat) coolant is flowing pretty decent and hoses I can feel pressure in them as well.
Left fan runs when ac is on or high temp occurs. Right fan powered by engine. Sitting in drivers seat as to their location.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:55 PM

i think i will test that plug next thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Turn Ac does it work? Yes other problem. No tap fan in center if it trys to run replace it. No Check plug for power.

Last edited by freegdr; 01-21-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Left fan runs when ac is on or high temp occurs. Right fan powered by engine. Sitting in drivers seat as to their location.
The fan doesn't turn on at high temp or when Ac is on... I saw a new one at the scrap yard on another Cherokee Country and I noticed that it is aligned in the housing and doesn't wobble... The fan in mine isn't straight and wobbles back and forth... Might snag the new one I found if its still there... Also going to replace all the other parts mentioned above. I suppose I should do timing with the water pump as well?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Water pump is external...nothing to do with the timing!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by elwoodblues
Water pump is external...nothing to do with the timing!
ok good to know... Still kind of new to all of this... Will post updates as I go. I have saw videos on Youtube about the water pump being a major culprit but who knows. I bought this for $750 and its undercoated so it was a steal
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Stephen Black
ok good to know... Still kind of new to all of this... Will post updates as I go. I have saw videos on Youtube about the water pump being a major culprit but who knows. I bought this for $750 and its undercoated so it was a steal
Any day you can pick up an XJ with minimal rust is a good day.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by MWMahoneyJr
Any day you can pick up an XJ with minimal rust is a good day.
yeah its originally from SC still has undercoating as well. #ScrewNY

also i figured out the over heating issue. The sensor for the gauge was broken... Replaced it and running fine... Now gotta figure put what the whirring sound is when I turn my wheel all the way left/right... Smh
Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 PM

Check the power steering fluid reservoir.

Search this Thread