Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 AX15 transmission in 4th, shifter in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question 95 AX15 transmission in 4th, shifter in neutral

We just bought a damaged 95 XJ with a 4.0, AX15, and 4x4. Got it for the price of the wheels and tires because the pass side motor mount ripped out of the block, causing the engine to fall while driving, landing on the distributor. After this, there is no spark, I just need a test light for diagnostics here.

Backstory aside, the question I'm here to ask is how can I get the transmission out of gear? The shifter is in the neutral position and can move side to side, but will not go into any gear position. However, with shifter in neutral, transfer case in 2hi, I can jack up one rear wheel to spin it by hand and the engine will spin. The previous owner said it is stuck in 4th, and I believe this to be accurate. It is definitely a forward gear because cranking the engine will lurch the vehicle forward.

My best guess is that when the engine fell downward, the shifter got caught in the hole in the body ripping it into 4th gear, then hyperextended something leaving the transmission in 4th, but the shifter moved back to neutral. Since the shifter will now not go into any gear, I am guessing the lockout is working correctly preventing the usage of the 1st 2nd selector and 5th and reverse, and the 3rd 4th selector being in gear is preventing engagement there.

Is there a place I can shove a screw driver to get it out of gear?
Old 01-03-2022, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 627 Likes on 467 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It sounds more like something is broke off inside the transmission rather than something is stuck.

What are you planning to do with the vehicle? Disconnecting the driveshaft might be the easiest solution.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:35 PM

The only thing stopping me from thinking its broken is that is moves very smooth in the gear its stuck in with no noise or resistance. The goal is to just get it running and driving as is. I'm going to get my hands on those little camera probes and see if I can get a look at the forks in the selector rods that the shifter moves.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:13 PM

As an update, I stuck a camera probe through the shifter opening to inspect the shift rod forks that the shifter engages. They are all in their neutral positions, so the rods and the transmission disagree at some point. looks like the trans has to come out no matter what, whether its a rebuild or different trans.