Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Shifter and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Shifter and starting issues

History then issues: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L replaced engine in june 2010 (the existing one had 235K miles and rod busted, cheaper to install used motor than fix existing) with a used 02 model around $90k miles through a mechanic. After replacement started having problems with removing key, took back to same mechanic and they said bad ignition, did not fix it but when I got it back the mechanic did something where i was no longer having the key stuck problem but a new problem arose. The problem was the shifter, it was very difficult to get out of park, most times i couldn't get it out of park (I am a female but not a weak female) without more muscle helping me, took it back they said bad shifter. I also choose not to fix the shifter then, got back in the jeep and the mechanic did something so now the shifter is extremely loose, button is not needed to move from park, nor do i need to push on brake to put into R, D or any other gear, and sometimes very difficult to put into the gear you want because it is so loose (when shifter was fine you move from gear to gear and lock or step into that gear and you could feel and hear the shifter go into that gear, now you can't feel it or hear it, but only way to tell is if you see the shifter move to the gear you want and can see the orange show up in the window next to gear). Ever since then it randomly won't start and more often lately. Most of the time if you wait long enough it will start but not sure if it is because you move the shifter back and forth into park, sometimes i turned the wheel (which wheel doesn't lock anymore either, which i would think has to do with it not going into gear appropriately) and or if i bump the car with another car or push the car back and forth a little while in park (which still seems to make it "lock" into gear).

other issues which seem to be a result of the same problem: Does not have reverse lights (which i have read is the NSS) Another thing i have noticed is the doors don't all unlock after i put in park and open up the drivers door which it used to unlock all doors once i open the drivers door to get out. Has a new battery within last few months, one new battery clamp due to excessive erosion and was cleaned when the new battery was installed.

Please advise on what the problem could be and if i need to troubleshoot, If i do need to troubleshoot what do i need to trouble shoot and in what order? I do think it could be shifter but not the ignition, maybe the nss due to no rear backing lights, but I am still sticking to thinking and have always thought it is the linkage when they installed newer motor? Looking for all others expertise!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, I would say your problems began with the engine swap. I'll bet they didn't disconnect the linkage before pulling the engine and damaged it in some way. I'm surprised they didn't destroy the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). The shift linkage MUST be restored to it's original function by a reliable mechanic with JEEP experience, not some "hack". You don't tell us your location, and if you're overseas, it could be difficult. ALL your problems are related to the engine swap, without a doubt.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Thank you dave1123, funny you mention the Crank Shaft Position Sensor, it was replaced when the put the new engine in, but since I am not familiar with the mechanics of a car and have very little experience working on cars I am learning all this from research. They also replaced the serpentine belt, spark plugs, coil on plug boot x 6 water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing. So in your opinion should the mechanic be the one responsible for fixing this or is it something that could have happened when they put the motor in and was something they should have fixed. Any idea on how much this is going to cost me? I am definitely not taking back to same mechanic even if they are the ones that messed it up.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM

And im in Kansas
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IMHO, he messed it up. The other things that were done to it only made the problem worst. Sounds like he removed the detent and lock. You can eliminate the auto door lock from the overhead console menu.

My own opinion on the auto door lock is this. In a crash, you're locked in and nobody can get you out except through the window. The only time you need the doors locked while driving is when you're on a bad part of town and fear carjacking. You can do that from the door switch. The rear doors have a child safety feature and you can lock out window control from the driver's door switch also. And then there's the "Panic" button on the key fob. That will set off the horn and lock the doors.

The neutral safety switch and reverse switch is inside the transmission. It's possible the connector was damaged also. As I said, take it to the dealer or a good mechanic with JEEP experience. If you bite the bullet and take it to the dealer, you know it will be right when you leave, although expensive.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.