Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'94 XJ won't shift until warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '94 XJ won't shift until warm

Long story short my 94 XJ (4.0 auto) won't shift out of 1st gear until the engine warms up a bit. Maybe a miles worth of driving or 5 minutes of idling. You can give it all the gas you want and the engine revs real high but you aren't going anywhere. It's some kind of temp or sensor problem and not a transmission or fluid one because it runs fine all summer (This problems been around for a few winters) or at lunch and after work when it's warmer outside. Ruling out the trans can anyone think of any sensors that might cause this? I get no codes. A mechanic suggested the idle air sensor. I do have one of the '99+ intakes on my '94. I wonder if I need to switch some of my sensors to ones from a '99+ also to compensate?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

TV cable
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Programbo
Long story short my 94 XJ (4.0 auto) won't shift out of 1st gear until the engine warms up a bit. Maybe a miles worth of driving or 5 minutes of idling. You can give it all the gas you want and the engine revs real high but you aren't going anywhere. It's some kind of temp or sensor problem and not a transmission or fluid one because it runs fine all summer (This problems been around for a few winters) or at lunch and after work when it's warmer outside. Ruling out the trans can anyone think of any sensors that might cause this? I get no codes. A mechanic suggested the idle air sensor. I do have one of the '99+ intakes on my '94. I wonder if I need to switch some of my sensors to ones from a '99+ also to compensate?

I'm not sure if a bad TPS will throw a code on a 94. Did you scan it or do the on and off key trick?

On the Renix Jeeps, and I believe yours too, there are 2 connectors near the trans dipstick tube. They can get cruddy inside.
Attached Thumbnails '94 XJ won't shift until warm-trans-plugs.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Programbo
Long story short my 94 XJ (4.0 auto) won't shift out of 1st gear until the engine warms up a bit.
I'd check the following, in this order:

1) Fluid level
2) TPS
3) TV cable adjustment
4) Sticking solenoid(s)
5) Input speed sensor
Old 09-19-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by Radi
I'd check the following, in this order:

1) Fluid level
2) TPS
3) TV cable adjustment
4) Sticking solenoid(s)
5) Input speed sensor
Thanks for all the input guys. I will poke at it some more but as I have mentioned this pattern has repeated itself for 3 winters now so I think it is something about the cold air temp causing it more than any of the more common causes. For example if it is in the 40's every morning this week I will have this problem of non-shifting until the engine and/or trans warms up enough. But if suddenly next week it is back in the 60's every morning the problem will go away but all the fluids, cable adjustments,etc will be the same as this week. The only thing different will be the outside air temp. Had the non-shift problem every day for the past 3 winters but no days all summer. It wouldn't be a concern if I was normal and I could let my XJ warm up for 5-10 minutes in the morning but since I leave for work at the last second every morning I have to jump in and roll