Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Cherokee won't start

I stopped and turned my car off to take care of an errand - 5 minutes later I went to leave and the car wouldn't start. 1st attempt you could hear it was getting juice from the battery, and starter was working properly, and sounded like it was getting gas for about 10 seconds - but then it acted like it was out of gas. (It had a 1/2 tank). 2nd attempt sounded like it was trying to get gas about 5 seconds, then died again. 3rd attempt I got nothing, just normal attempt from battery and starter but no gas. After trying quite a few things with no results I called the wife to pick me up. After waiting about 15 minutes for the wife, without messing with the jeep, I decided to try it again and it started right up. I drove home with no issue whatsoever but once I got home I decide to turn off the vehicle and see if it would start again - nothing, again it sounded like it wasn't getting gas. As I had other things I needed to take care of I left the Cherokee alone until the next morning. When I turned the ignition in the morning the Jeep immediately started with no issue. After letting it run a few minutes with no issue, taking it for a short drive, I then turned it off and waited about a minute and then attempted to restart it. Again it refused to start. It seems when I leave it for an extended period of time it will restart but since I have an extensive daily commute to work I don't want to chance it decided not to run in the middle of my commute. What could be the issue ???
Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 8 cyl 5.2l engine, with 124,000 original miles on it.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Maybe post in the GRAND Cherokee area? Might get more hits on help- GL
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The Grand Cherokee section is over here. This is the Cherokee section. Different vehicles, with a lot in common.

First I'd check your fuel pressure. You can rent a gauge at many auto parts chain stores.