Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 GC stalling....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: V8
Default 95 GC stalling....

Recently bought a 95 GC V8 and I can't seem to shake my stalling issues. I am new to Jeeps and this forum, so any input would be appreciated. Stay with me and I will explain everything in the order it happened.
Ran good and solid for the first few weeks, then one day my girl gets home and says she won't drive it because it stalled twice in a parking lot. Restarted right away for her but freaked her out. So I start driving it and the problems get more persistent. Stalls at idle, and hesitates at acceleration. Hits the point when accelerating and getting to around 45mph, it loses power (as if someone grabbed it by the throat and cut off its air). When this would happen, I basically had no control over the accelerator and the Jeep would shutter, lose power and then stall. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS OR CODES TO THIS POINT. I am no mechanic by any means, but a buddy (who knows way more than me) and I do a little researching and decide to put a new crank sensor in. (what a pain in the butt) With the new crank sensor in we fire it up and it runs TERRIBLE. Shakes and acts like its misfiring and won't hardly run. Frustrated at this point, I break down and take it to the dealer. $1000 dollars later I get the Jeep back from the dealer with the info that when putting in the crank sensor, we apparently damaged pins in the wiring harness which had to be repaired. Was assured the harness repair, along with a new FACTORY crank sensor, solved my stalling problems.
Fast forward two days and it stalls at idle. Once. Restarts. Then twice. Restarts. Then three times. Now it won't restart until it sits for half an hour. I replaced the Idle air control and the throttle position sensor at this point, and drive for another day. It was running really good, then it stalled again, but restarted. Today was my last straw. I was driving it all morning with no issues, then around noon at a VERY busy intersection it stalled at a red light and would not restart. It cranks just fine, but won't actually start. (Still amazes me how many hundreds of people honk and are frustrated with a stalled vehicle, but NONE offered any help) Finally got it pushed from the intersection and it sits lonely in a parking lot. Will be headed back over to it in a few hours, and it should (fingers crossed) fire up and run.

Sorry to be so long winded on my first post, but maybe with the whole story I can get some good advice. New crank sensor, new idle air control sensor, new throttle position sensor, wire harness work and well over $1000 in this issue so far.

I am sure I cannot be the only one who has had to deal with this! Please... any advice and help is appreciated!!

Last edited by HALE YES; 10-21-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for all your problems!

The first two tools that are required for this vehicle are the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and a fuel pressure gauge.

The symptoms sound like flaky fuel pressure, possibly caused by a bad pump, or any other problems, but it must be measured first to confirm that is the problem. Connect the gauge to the fuel rail.

If poor fuel pressure, then unplug the fuel pump at the fuel tank. The connector is easy to access. Turn on the vehicle to verify voltage when in run.

When mine fail the last time I installed a Bosch pump. They are the best.

FWIW swapping the pump is a butt pain.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

I 2nd Wingless. Im having simliar issues, but not as bad. I'm am installing a new Fuel Pump\Filter today. Bought on Rockauto.com

For an incredible Field Service Manual, go to www.pacificcoastmanuals.com Its 2500 PAGES of information all about your model Jeep. All for only $7.99 Way better than any Haines\Chilton book you ever bought for $30

Credit to Dave1123 and FRED/NOAZZ for showing me. It has been incredibly helpful with the most complicated trpubleshooting.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:48 AM

That manual link to purchase looks like it could be okay.

Or, get the correct FSM used off eBay from a prior owner...
Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by wingless
That manual link to purchase looks like it could be okay.

Or, get the correct FSM used off eBay from a prior owner...
Here is an example of the FSM on eBay. There are at least 20 other options.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's one option, but at Pacific Coast, it only costs you $7.99+tax and you only have to wait long enough for it to download! They call it their FULL service manual because it's a copy of the actual Factory Service Manual used by dealers. I've learned more than I'd ever have a need to know about my WJ just be using it to research stuff for answers to question on this forum.

Oh oh! I just checked and they don't have one for the 95! They've got one for a 94 and a 96, but 95 must be a bastard year or something.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-22-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Haven't been on in awhile, but I did fix my stalling issue. Took a shot in the dark and ordered a reman PCM from eBay. A $240 gamble that paid off. Unscrewed the wire harness from the old PCM, unscrewed the old PCM from the firewall, screwed the new one on and reattached the wire harness. Fired right up, true plug and play. HAS NOT STALLED ONCE SINCE. Figured I would update this, maybe it will help out someone else down the road. Thanks for the advice fellas!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the update.

It may be that the prior PCM had deteriorated capacitors.

This reply shows the capacitor replacement rework.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
Thanks for the update.

It may be that the prior PCM had deteriorated capacitors.

This reply shows the capacitor replacement rework.
Good stuff there. I never pulled the old one apart, just shipped it back to the supplier. Really wish I would have started with the PCM first! Thanks again!