Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Jeep GC Limited Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 96 Jeep GC Limited Stalling issues

Hey readers,

So I'm having stalling issues with my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0. I've been having issues for months. Changed out the IACV (non-OEM), the Crankshaft sensor (non-OEM), Cat converter (it needed it), and ignition coil. I had the mechanics check the fuel pressure and it was fine, although it did stall out twice during the test. That's when he recommended I change out the crankshaft sensor and it seemed fine for the couple days after I did, which was the last thing I changed out.

This problem isn't consistent. Never had issues leaving my house in the morning, it's always been on my way back home.

Symptoms: won't start right away or takes several tries; stalls at idle (with RPMs seemingly searching), dies when coming to a stop (with foot off gas), or dies after sitting at a stop (foot off gas).

When I drive double footed with slight pressure on the pedal it seems to get around fine, but once I let go and let it idle, that's when it stalls.

I don't know where else to look, my mechanics are stumped as well. No check engine light, no codes. I'm leaning towards an air issue, maybe vacuum leak of a sensor involved. I also have spark plugs ready to be installed, but I don't think that'll fix the issue.

What do you guys think? I'm running out of money.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

It's not uncommon for the ECU in that year to develop cold solder joints inside. Also not uncommon is ECU connector issues. While the vehicle is running try giving the 3 connectors of the ECU a wiggle and see if it causes a stall.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Sounds like maybe the cam shaft position sensor, not the crank sensor. Any codes ? They don't always set codes ...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I'm pointing towards the TPS but without more information I'm taking a shot in the dark . There was a member that recently had bare wires at the connector to the crank sensor if I remember right that were shorting together and causing their Jeep to stall . Scan tool would sure help with more information .
Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I too have a similar problem. 98 zj 5.2 all of a sudden will not turn over. There's spark and fuel but only sounds like it will go and shuts off right away. Took off TB cleaned it out and even replaced IAC. If I let it sit over night with no battery it starts right up, but as soon as I turn off that's it no more go.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Year: 95
Engine: V8

I'm no mechanic, but check my post on my 95 that had stalling issues. May just help. Good luck.