Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help Please

Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

On the way home from work today i had to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident. Now my 87 Cherokee won't run, it will start run horribly for a few short seconds then die. while driving home after the extremely hard braking i could use the clutch to pull it out of gear but had to float into the next. during take off the jeep is shuddering extremely hard, and has a metal on metal kinda squeal to it. I checked all my linkage and all the plugs i could find, and didn't find anything. I looked for leaks of any kind and found nothing. I am lost as to what is going on. if anyone has any idea what it could be, or even a place to start looking it would be greatly appreciated. i have about an hour and a half of light when i get home from work, and no garage so i need all the help i can get.

Thanx
Bastard Child
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM

As for running horribly check dist. cap,as for metal on metal ?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

did you hit any thing when you slammed on the brakes or maybe over something?

could it be possible that you didn't notice the metal on metal until now? ( not triing to say that you don't pay attention but these thing tend to become more noticeable after something like this)
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 AM

didn't hit anything, just skidded for a couple feet. I hadn't noticed a scraping in the past, and i'm fairly into with my jeep. i try to go through her once every couple weeks.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

well I do not know then you have me stumped. does it only scrape when you are in gear or does it happen when you are in neutral? if it only happens with it in gear then I would have to say that you may have stressed the fly wheel or throw out bearing. it kinda sounds like it may be the clutch but the only why I could think to check is to pull the tranny and without hearing the sound I could be way off base.

I would say find a safe way to get the wheels off the ground (ex. an auto lift at your local shop) and let it run so that you can hear where it is coming from.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM

So I'm a little closer to an idea of whats wrong with my ole gurl. Now when i start her up if it runs up into the high idle it runs pretty damn good. no missing or anything just idling around 2000-2500 it's when it kicks down to a normal idle it goes to running horribly like on one cylinder and dies after a few seconds. i'm not sure on how she's gonna drive yet i'm concentrating on the getting the engine running and then go from there. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanx in advance

Bastard Child