Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2wd to 4wd Cherokee conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2wd to 4wd Cherokee conversion

I saw elsewhere on this board a question posed about converting a 2010 2wd Jeep Cherokee to a 4wd. Nearly everyone said "too much work, just buy a 4wd". So I have the same question, but with a few different details.

I own a 93 Jeep Cherokee which has a worn out body and a trashed interior, a door that fell off and really can't be welded. Plus is has an 5.0L six that needs to be rebuilt. Okay, I am a professional mechanic with a full shop, including a two post lift. The car just isn't worth rebuilding, but it has lots of good parts. Like front and rear axles and differentials, manual transmission and transfer case, perfectly good drive shafts and all the parts need to convert a 2000 2wd in perfect shape that I just found on a lot in Denver. It's cost is $3000, perfect interior, perfect body. It's just a worthless 2 wheel drive Cherokee. All the parts on the original 1993 have about 115K on them, and they were in great shape. Of course I would replace all seals and rubber, clutch, flywheel and the like.

Given that I have every part I need and the ability to swap the parts in my own professional shop, would this still be considered too much? The new Jeeps suck in my opinion. They have "crossovers" and "crosswired" models nowadays as far as I'm concerned.

So I ask, what do you think?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

I think you should come to VA and answer that question by doing a practice run with my 2 Jeeps - a 92 4WD XJ swap into a '94 2WD XJ. No charge. If it turns out to be too much work, then I would strongly suggest you do not bother going ahead when you get back to CO.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Read this thread for conversion years for the transmission.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Belongs in modified tech.