Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee, died driving. Cranks/no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 94 Cherokee, died driving. Cranks/no start

It died very suddenly, it did NOT buck/jerk like a fuel pressure issue. It only did a flash out code 55 which I believe signals the end of code display, so no codes. I do not have a gauge for checking fuel pressure but with the schrader valve on the fuel rail pressed and the key cycled to run, fuel sprayed out in a pretty substantial quantity. So I turned to the ignition system. No spark, so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor as they have at least 60-70 K miles on them. Still crank no start. What are the likely causes of this? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Probably Crank Sensor.
The following users liked this post:
EvilJeepxj (12-13-2019)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Agree with Dave. Crankshaft position sensor is certainly high on the suspect list. Probably the most common sensor failure on the 4.0 engine. They can be tested, but testing isn't always conclusive. SEARCH for testing technique.

Your ignition coil is also a possibility but the crank sensor fails more frequently. You can test your coil for primary and secondary resistances with a meter and a manual.

If you replace the crank sensor, do yourself a favor and buy a genuine Mopar/Jeep sensor for best results and reliability. Aftermarket crank sensors are "hit and miss".

Other possibilities and the route of "spark" below. Good luck and keep us updated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spark: 12 volts from ignition switch to the ASD relay; when the key is first turned on the PCM provides a ground to the ASD relay to energize it, then the ASD relay passes 12 volts to the coil primary side. If no crank sensor signal is generated after a couple of seconds the PCM cuts the ground to the ASD relay (and fuel pump relay too) and that cuts power to the coil (and fuel pump). Key to START and once again the PCM energizes the ASD relay. Now, a critical element is the crank sensor--no signal from the crank sensor and the PCM won't trigger the coil to provide spark.

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 AM

Thanks Dave and TJ for the quick response. Sorry I didn’t mention this is a 4.0 litre. One question, since this is a 94, OBD1 no misfire detection was required and it has a distributor so correct me if I’m wrong but it wouldn’t have a crank sensor would it? All ignition triggering is in the distributor isn’t it? And for that matter, the injection system, while it is port injection, is it sequential, or bank fire?

Since I made the original post I have pulled the coil and checked resistance. Right around 1.2 ohms on the primary and about 11.8K on the secondary. I also found I have 12 volts to the coil, and the ground side will flash a test light when cranking. I did notice the coil connector is missing its latch and was not completely seated. It is now seated well but still no start. I pulled spark plugs and they are pretty wet with fuel and have a lot of “grunge” (technical term ) on them and I am now wondering if they are shorting. I plan to get a set of new plugs this morning. I am operating on the theory that the initial stall and subsequent no start was due to a loss of ignition, and I now have that corrected, but the old plugs are now so fuel saturated that they are shorting out. I will post a reply after I get the new plugs in.

Last edited by Vertigo419; 12-17-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Left out information.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Vertigo419
Thanks Dave and TJ for the quick response. Sorry I didn’t mention this is a 4.0 litre. One question, since this is a 94, OBD1 no misfire detection was required and it has a distributor so correct me if I’m wrong but it wouldn’t have a crank sensor would it?

All 4.0 engines have crankshaft position sensors. Every year of them.

I'd highly recommend that you get yourself a manual if you plan on doing pretty much anything on your XJ. Great how-to, diagrams, pics. Here is a source to one that is reasonably priced at $7.95 for digital.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-17-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The crank sensor is a reference signal for the PCM to control ignition timing and set fuel mixtures. If it has electronic fuel injection, it needs a crank sensor.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Found the crank sensor

It died very suddenly, it did NOT buck/jerk like a fuel pressure issue. It only did a flash out code 55 which I believe signals the end of code display, so no codes. I do not have a gauge for checking fuel pressure but with the schrader valve on the fuel rail pressed and the key cycled to run, fuel sprayed out in a pretty substantial quantity. So I turned to the ignition system. No spark, so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor as they have at least 60-70 K miles on them. Still crank no start. What are the likely causes of this? Thanks for any help.
A new set of spark plugs didn’t fix. Based on your assurances of it having a crank sensor (I had looked for one previously) I lucked out and found a YouTube video for how to replace. That of course helped me locate it (hard to see on a fairly dirty 230K mile engine and trans, and even harder to access) and I proceeded from there. I first checked for voltage on the orange wire and found slightly more than 9 volts reference supplied to the sensor. I then checked resistance on the remaining two pins. I had .5 megOhms and it tended to fluctuate some. Having no experience with this particular sensor I didn’t know if that was a good reading or not. Based on the input of many many different people offering to help in addition to Dave and TJ here, I decided to buy a crank sensor. On the trip to the parts store for a new sensor I realized I had not done a proper fuel pressure test so I also picked up a fuel pressure test kit. I did the fuel pressure test first and got slightly less than 40 PSI. I admit I don’t know what the spec is but that is right in the ballpark of other fuel injected engines I have worked on. I then proceeded to replace the crank sensor. Wow what a job when you don’t have a lift. Before I installed the new sensor I did the same resistance checks on it and found 5.3 megOhms, or quite a difference from the .5 MOhms of the old sensor. Replaced the sensor and still no start. Though I have to say it seemed like it was trying to start. I am now suspicious of the coil, despite the fact that I now have spark. I am wondering if those old plugs which all had pretty eroded electrodes (wide gap) had stressed the coil and made it weak. However, keep in mind I had done resistance tests on the primary and secondary as previously mentioned and they seemed to check out. So, do any of you have experience with a coil which can make a spark but it is too weak to light the fire?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:28 PM

A coil fixed it. The original one was capable of making a spark, out in the open when testing, but was apparently too weak to make a spark in a cylinder under compression. The resistance checks I did on the primary and secondary side were within spec, which is why I went with the consensus and replaced the crank sensor. When the crank sensor did not fix it about all that was left was the coil. I replaced it reluctantly and was of course pleased when the engine started. Thanks to all for your advice it was very helpful .
Old 12-18-2018, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

A coil fixed it. The original one was capable of making a spark, out in the open when testing, but was apparently too weak to make a spark in a cylinder under compression. The resistance checks I did on the primary and secondary side were within spec, which is why I went with the consensus and replaced the crank sensor. When the crank sensor did not fix it about all that was left was the coil. I replaced it reluctantly and was of course pleased when the engine started. Thanks to all for your advice it was very helpful .
Good job of resolving this. Glad we could help! And thanks for reporting back as many do not. We're all learning here. One thread at a time.....
Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Important lesson learned is that old worn (electrodes eroded) spark plugs will over time stress the coil and lead to failure. The irony here is that the 4.0 is such a solid engine in terms of durability and reliability that it’s easy to lose track of some of the routine maintenance items. An exception in my case is oil changes which I am almost religious about. Otherwise, I hate to admit it but I do not recall when I last changed the plugs. The engine just keeps going and going so I am guilty of taking it a bit for granted. Those old plugs were pure ugly coming out and yet I was not experiencing any misfires, that I could feel.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, I think Jeep says change at 100K miles! At 50K they are pretty whipped.