Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squeak on front drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Squeak on front drivers side

Hey guys, I have searched and searched and tried many suggestions, but I have not been able to eliminate the squeal/squeak I am getting on the front right of my 2001 w/ 3.5 lift

It started a few weeks ago and it has been happening more and more. It is not constant. I seem to be able to 'get rid' of it by braking or giving it a bit more throttle. It is either not happening or I can't hear it above 45mph. It only happens when driving, and specifically happens after giving it some gas and then letting off the gas then it will start to squeak. At first I thought it was the front driveshaft (from forum suggestions) so I removed it and it is still there. I tightened and loosened my belt and that did nothing. The problem is that I can't isolate the sound very well because it only happens when I am driving. I have had someone drive it really slowly and I walked/jogged along side to try and isolate it, but the best I could get was that it is on the left drivers side of the vehicle. I jacked up the front side and spun the tires but I wasnt able to get it to squeak (which made me think it has something to do with either something under stress when driving (such as suspension) or a pulley of some sort) . I checked the engine bay, but there doesn't really seem to be anything loose. I also visually inspected both the brake rotors and U joints on the axle, and both looked fine. It just confuses me that it seems to squeak more along with the throttle/how much gas I am giving it, and less with the spinning of the tires (especially if it is a U joint). Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Does it sound like metal on metal, or rubber on metal, or something else? Sometimes knowing what it sounds like can help track it down. Just guessing, but maybe balljoints, or hub bearing? Dont know.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sometimes I will just soak things with WD40 or some light penetrating oil and go for a spin around the block. Helps to track a bushing or component that is making noise, but otherwise doesn't have a perceptible amount of play.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say hub bearing.

Maybe a mechanics stethoscope might help.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like metal on metal. I have sprayed everything I could see and the noise was still present.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I actually have a similar issue. Mine is more of a squeal and happens when the throttle is opened up. I was able to replicate the sound while in park by hitting the accelerator, but its most noticable while moving. I can pin this down for the life of me. It doesn't sound like metal on metal or any other type of contact sound it almost sound similar to blowing into a bottle type whistle or like air pressure over a thin string. Its incredibly difficult to describe