Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91' dies when coming to stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Question 91' dies when coming to stop

Ok, so I just replaced my alternator about a month ago due to it not holding a charge and it fixed that problem. Then about two days later I would be driving along and when slowing down at a red light it just stalled out of nowhere. Runs fine otherwise, doesnt have a rough idle or anything so I have no clue what it could be? I've checked vaccuum lines and didn't find anything any suggestions??
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJSmith12
Ok, so I just replaced my alternator about a month ago due to it not holding a charge and it fixed that problem. Then about two days later I would be driving along and when slowing down at a red light it just stalled out of nowhere. Runs fine otherwise, doesnt have a rough idle or anything so I have no clue what it could be? I've checked vaccuum lines and didn't find anything any suggestions??
Have you checked your air filter, fuel filter and you fuel pump? (Sounds like you may be having an issue getting fuel up to the rail, gravity and momentum comes in handy when your moving to help it flow along) Give it a can of B-12 Chemtool also, never hurts. Let us know how it goes for you and if none of those has fixed the problem.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

*A marginal battery can cause stalling at idle. And yes, you can have a battery that is strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to cause havoc with the engine management system. Have your battery "load tested". Any parts store will do this for free.

*If battery checks out, then the next in line for suspects are a dirty throttle body, dirty idle air control (or faulty one), or a flaky throttle position sensor.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Ok I cleaned out my IAC and it's not stalling anymore, but my rpms are still dropping very low when I come to a stop? I'll try a new air filter next!

The fuel filter is fairly new. but I'll still check that out! Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply!