Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Ignition mechanism problem - shifter interlock rack jams

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 Ignition mechanism problem - shifter interlock rack jams

I was having problems with key action on my 89, and accessory power being enabled at the key-out position.

After looking at a bunch of things which could have been it (see below), I have the column shroud disassembled. What still seems to be a problem is where the ignition rack interfaces a second rack piece which in turn controls the shift interlock.

The ignition rack sits alongside this second rack on top of the column, and the two mate up with a ball bearing that sits in a hole in the plastic tunnels through which each rack runs. Turn the key all the way back, the ignition rack is -- by the looks of it -- supposed to cause the ball to drag the other rack backward, locking the shifter. It doesn't, just jamming when the ignition rack "engages" Push the interlock rack by hand, the key will then move back just fine. And it doesn't take any force to push that second rack back, feels like the key action ought to be plenty.

Half-assed description, but hoping it'll make sense to anyone who has worked on those parts. Feeling stumped

Other stuff I looked at

Figured I needed to adjust the ignition switch on the column shaft. Took it off, inspected, replaced with a new spare I had lying around. Wasn't that.

Pulled the wheel, lock plate etc. and took out the lock cylinder, looked down the resulting hole the like the sector gear wasn't aligned properly with the ignition rack. Probably the clunk I'd heard. Looked like reinstalling the sector gear would do it. Teeth were a bit worn so found a new one of those and put it in properly aligned. Wasn't that.