Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee some type of death wabble

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default 89 cherokee some type of death wabble

I feel a heavy type vibration/wabble that almost sounds like the death wabble most people get.

I was going down a road hit alil bit of icey snow that was in the road and i was going around 55 at the time and i had this violent like wabble/shake.

I slowed down alil bit to like 40 mph and the jeep came out of it.

Thought this was strange because i had a slight wabble before at 60+ mph on the highway so i had the track bar replaced last year steering seemed tighter so i figured everything would be fine and that i had fixed the problem.

I noticed i still had a slight wabble on the highway at 65 so i figured change my big aggresive looking tires maybe they have a broken belt or 2 so i got rid of the 30 inch tires i had picked up some goodyear wrangler radials from wally world 235/75/15.

Everything seemed fine after that things seemed fairly smooth even at high speeds however the wheel seemed off so i got a front end alignment a couple months ago and the wheel was straight after.

However the guy at the garage said the trailing arms as he called them bushings where bad from what i can tell those are actually called the control arms he they are old and cracked looking but not fully gone.

So i get it home and i hear clunk going down the road or while turning the wheel at times look underneath and notice the guy must greased everything aswell and somehow blew the fitting off my tie rod end and messed it up so i ended up replacing it.

Drove fine till about last month this was when i clipped a deer i saw its head at the last second stick out in the road and i tryed to slow down for it but ended up clipping the head of it bounced off the passanger side front marker tail light and broke it and cracked a piece of the headlight assembly and i had a dent in my passenger side door after. My boom boom system might have saved me from the deer running completely out in front of me.

Anyway that was all the damage i noticed most cars would have been totaled all i had to do was fix the front marker light the bulb was out so i wiggled it in the socket and it came back on.

It was after that i seemed to notice the death like wabble.

One other thing i have done is hit a curb once or twice with the front tires which are only a year old only other thing i can think of maybe they have too much air in them i believe they are at 32psi.

The front springs are stock however all the shocks have been replaced the front stabilizer shock thing is original

Any ideas what to look for could the bad bushings cause this

One thing i notice is that if i slow down to around 50-55 mph before i hit say a thin metal lip going over a small highway bridge it doesnt violently shake/wabble if i were to hit that same little lip at 60+ hold on to your seat
Old 01-03-2017, 02:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Death wobble can be caused by bad/out of balance tires, bad ball joints, wheel bearings, bad control arm bushings, bad steering components such as tie rods, drag link, and track bar. Also alignment can help. Death wobble is never caused by a stabilizer. Have someone saw the steering back n forth as you watch the steering underneath and see what's moving that shouldnt
Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 AM
Seasoned Member

ill have to see what i find in the light. Thing is i need to go on a 40 mile trip tomorrow this am and i was trying not to push it depending on what it is and how bad.

I do know that the ball joints have been replaced aswell in fact when i when i brang it to the garage to have the play in the steering checked out he had said everything seemed tight under there but the track bar was kinda warn.

So it seems kinda odd that i would have more death wobble then before replacing the track bar.

Either way ill try and get someone to look under it while i move the steering wheel

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 01-03-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Well ok i figured out the problem it seems the track bar i had replaced is wasted already i probably should not have bought the 30$ special.

Anyone know of a track bar that will last more then a year i almost feel like i skimped out
Old 01-03-2017, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....179929&jsn=399

You need to get under this thing and take a look before anything else though. Noggin pokin is my only suggestion. Look at all the suspension and steering components. Make sure you didn't knock a wheel weight off hitting the curb
Old 01-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

yeah you can see play on the passenger side of the track bar
Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivenewbie
yeah you can see play on the passenger side of the track bar
The hole for the track bar may be wallowed out
Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
The hole for the track bar may be wallowed out
so much this
Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

go to youtube, look up bleepin jeep, and watch his death wobble videos.

its almost for sure a problem with your track bar.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Seasoned Member

yes also as i mentioned my control arm bushings are kind of bad as far as i know that problem could help cause the track bar to wear out faster.

So i am waiting for the moog problem solver part i ended up getting it from oriellys auto and i also had told them that the last part a bought from them did not last a year and the guy said oh ya well bring it in and ill give u a credit so i should save 35$ the part is 90$ i know rock auto or ebay are cheaper at 42$ but atleast ill get the same part in 24 hours i just have to bring in the old part and he will have to look it up in the computer.

So the next step might be to get all new control arms after and put them in just to be safe.

i had the bigger 30 inch tires on at first im sure that did not help the track bar about 6 months later i bought the smaller tires.

I figure i should be able to get the old bar off pretty easy as its only a year old if that and install the new one pretty quick
Old 01-03-2017, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

yes also as i mentioned my control arm bushings are kind of bad as far as i know that problem could help cause the track bar to wear out faster.

So i am waiting for the moog problem solver part i ended up getting it from oriellys auto and i also had told them that the last part a bought from them did not last a year and the guy said oh ya well bring it in and ill give u a credit so i should save 35$ the part is 90$ i know rock auto or ebay are cheaper at 42$ but atleast ill get the same part in 24 hours i just have to bring in the old part and he will have to look it up in the computer.

So the next step might be to get all new control arms after and put them in just to be safe.

i had the bigger 30 inch tires on at first im sure that did not help the track bar about 6 months later i bought the smaller tires.

I figure i should be able to get the old bar off pretty easy as its only a year old if that and install the new one pretty quick
You need to check that track bar mounting hole. If it's loose and had play it is probably wallowed out and that's causing the wobble.

one more thing. The 235/75r15 tires you have now are the same size as 30 inch tires. Just to let you know. So that shouldn't even be part of the equation haha
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
You need to check that track bar mounting hole. If it's loose and had play it is probably wallowed out and that's causing the wobble.

one more thing. The 235/75r15 tires you have now are the same size as 30 inch tires. Just to let you know. So that shouldn't even be part of the equation haha
This is pretty extreme case but if the hole is wallowed out even the slightest bit you need to repair it.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

well ok i replaced the track bar and i still have that death wobble i went on the highway 20 mins away and i hit a bump and heard the same thumping it was like i was hitting a bunch of pot holes at once i had to slow down to 45 so it would come out of it.

I though it was gonna fall apart shaking violently i literally thought i was gonna die i took the next exit.

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 01-05-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

well ok i replaced the track bar and i still have that death wobble i went on the highway 20 mins away and i hit a bump and heard the same thumping it was like i was hitting a bunch of pot holes at once i had to slow down to 45 so it would come out of it.

I though it was gonna fall apart shaking violently i literally thought i was gonna die i took the next exit.
So did you check the trackbar hole or not?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 AM
Seasoned Member

the kid at the garage said it did not seem so. i did not bother to replace myself as i donot have a lift and its the middle of the winter kinda rough trying to repair outside alot easier to work on for a garage

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 01-06-2017 at 01:45 AM.