Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'88 Cherokee w/ V6, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4 Cylinder
Default '88 Cherokee w/ V6, Worth It?

Hey all. Been a bit since I posted. I usually require some motivation to post online. Lol. Not that I don't like the boards, or Jeeps, but I do not have as much experience with a lot of the topics that crop up as a general rule (only know my own vehicle, some principles, and can read a shop manual).

So, I have a bit of a quandary. My girlfriend has a coworker with an 88 Cherokee, has a V6, is 4 wheel drive. Not sure if it is manual or automatic, but the price point is pretty low, and I sure wouldn't mind another Jeep (so, despite a liking for manual, the auto trans would not be a deal breaker). I could use the 4x4, and the extra grunt. Pretty sure my shop manual (buried in my '93 right now)covers the year range, and the V6 as well.

Thing is I do not know a whole lot about the V6 model. Is the engine known for being strong, durable, reliable etc? I know it isn't the 4.0 inline, which at this point isn't a deal breaker, since the price is potentially quite right. Anything wrong with grabbing a pre-90s XJ?

However, it does apparently tend to stall when it hits a bump hard enough. From what little research I have done (including a search on here), the common culprit tends to be a bad ground. If this is truly the case, it should be an easy fix, and easily justified. From what I know of mechanics, there really isn't anything else that I can think of that would cause this sort of issue. I have read random things about Torque Converter Clutches causing similar symptoms. That could possibly be a pain, but even at that, I know how to yank out trannies and swap sensors etc.

It is 5 years older than my '93, and I do not know the mileage. I do know that the coworker has been driving it pretty regularly otherwise though, which tends to be a good sign. Vehicles that are driven tend to fare better than vehicles that sit for ages.

What says the hive mind? Yea, nay? Any advice to lend? I would love to get another Jeep, as I could sell my current one, or turn it into a weekend warrior for some of the trails that I know of. At less than a $700 asking price, would this be worth jumping on?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Are you sure it is a V6? May want to double check.

If it is an 88 with a V6, that V6 would had to have been swapped in there. From the factory, a V6 engine was not available for the 88 XJ.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 PM

I was told it was a V6. Maybe my girlfriend assumed that it was a V6. She isn't all that familiar with machines. I do know this Jeep is a 6 cylinder, as I have seen it in person once. Even if it was swapped in, would that be cause for alarm? I mean, my '93 has a '94 trans that someone plopped in there before I got it, and it's been pretty reliable overall. If it is a straight six, I'll be ALL over it. Lol. Though, I do think I recall her coworker saying it was an automatic when I did see it (being a Jeep...I had to inquire). So still, even with inline, 4x4, and auto I could compromise my desire for manual at the price.

Is it bad that I am already chomping at the idea of having another Jeep, and what I can do differently with this one? Lol.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Odds are extremely high that it is the 4.0

I have seen more than a few people (even owners) sometimes mistakenly refer to the 4.0 as a V6.

Get on the phone and verify.

The AW4 automatic transmission in the 88 is a very good transmission, and is known for great longevity with reasonable fluid changes.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Check to see if it has the stock tow package! If it does you'll have a stock dana 44 I wouldn't buy it unless ot had the stock 44
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick
Check to see if it has the stock tow package! If it does you'll have a stock dana 44 I wouldn't buy it unless ot had the stock 44
What's the big deal about a Dana 44?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM

I think it is probably one of the better differentials that you can have out back. I'm not gonna call that a deal breaker... but I am a fan of "overbuilt" so if I see a tow package on this possibility, I will call it a bonus. Can't jump on the phone any more today to inquire, and my girlfriend isn't sure the number she gave me is correct... but they work for the same place, and will cross paths Mon. Here is to hoping!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Firestorm500

What's the big deal about a Dana 44?
Sensing some sarcasm there
Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by bighouts5591
Sensing some sarcasm there
No, not this time. It really was an honest question. I really was curious as to why someone would pass up a vehicle, or buy one, just to get a certain differential.

That being said, my '92 Laredo does have the factory tow package and a locking diff.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE="Firestorm500"]

No, not this time. It really was an honest question. I really was curious as to why someone would pass up a vehicle, or buy one, just to get a certain differential.

That being said, my '92 Laredo does have the factory tow package and a locking diff. [/QUOTE

Your 92' most likely has the Chrysler 8.25 a good rear end. Mine has the 8.25 as well. They can handle up to 35 inch tires with out blowing out! Their only down fall is they are held in by c clips. If you break on on the trail your whole tire will fall off!

I have the 8.25 stock in my xj I may change it to the 44 at some point if I find one for a good price. The 44 can hold up to 35 inch tires. It also doesn't have the c clips. So it's superior to the 8.25 in that respect.

The 87 - 89 xjs come with a stock Dana 44 that is a direct swap into any aj. That's why these are so valuable and rare. the ones I've seen on craigs list and kijiji guys are asking $400 C.A.D. Just for the rear end.

Now I guess I'll move on to the Dana 35 I can sum it up in one word. Garbage!!! You can buy a super 35 kit and blow about a grand so it makes it an " almost " 44. I've heard of guys blowing out their d35s on the street. (you'd have to just f n rost em' though)
Any xj with out the stock tow package will come with a 35. But you also never know what someone else has done to your jeep so check your serial numbers before you go damning it to hell!

With all that in mind, think about the age of the jeep it's really old. Check the floor underneath look to see if it's rusted out. It wouldn't be so bad if you needed new rockers there are plenty of write ups in the how to section useing way better steel to do it but if the floors are rusty as hell don't bother. If you can get it on a hoist check ball joints tie rod ends drive shafts all associated knuckles! Check the breaks! Basically check everything you would check for a safty.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

And drive the damn thing! So if you hear any strange noises you can diagnose the problem.

If you find the jeep needs a lot of repair for it to be saftyed then offer him it's scrap value and tell him that. Here, I can take a car to the wreckers and get 300 bucks for it so then I would say can take it to the wreckers and get 300 or I'll give you 300 and save you the hassle because I want a parts jeep
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM

correct me if im wrong but in the late 80s they had a 2.8l v6?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Then take the Dana 44, send the rest to the scrap yard and look for another jeep. Or if you want you could also part out the old jeep I guess bit it would still be worth at least 4 - 500 just for the rear end if it had a d 44
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 02edge
correct me if im wrong but in the late 80s they had a 2.8l v6?
Honesty I can't tell you exactly as far as I know .. The xjs have the straight six or the 2.5
Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're correct.

85-87 had a 2.8 V6 that used a GM bell housing pattern...

Then came the 4.0 straight 6. It hung around.

Quick Reply: '88 Cherokee w/ V6, Worth It?