Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'88 cherokee oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '88 cherokee oil leak

i havent gotten under her yet, my best guess is that its coming from the oil pan. I was thinking that maybe the pan gasket went bad? also along with this issue, when she gets to a certain higher RPM it makes this "spatting" sound. im thinking that its the oil hitting the exhaust cause when i come to a complete stop, a plume of smoke pours out from under it. Any suggestions on where else i could check? Or what else it may be? this is my daily driver and id love whatever help i could get :/ thankyou guys/girls so much.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps7af14a09.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psda645109.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps3a05790a.jpg
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Oil flows downward. It could be leaking from the valve cover and mimic an oil pan/RMS leak. It could be from the oil filter adapter. Maybe the distributor gasket went bad. Worst case scenario, your oil pan went bad. But you want to get down there and look. My money is on the oil filter adapter.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Looks like rear main seal. Almost every single 4.0 leaks here. Might as well just do the valve cover, oil filter housing, pan gasket and rear main. They will be leaking if they arent already.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Oil flows downward. It could be leaking from the valve cover and mimic an oil pan/RMS leak. It could be from the oil filter adapter. Maybe the distributor gasket went bad. Worst case scenario, your oil pan went bad. But you want to get down there and look. My money is on the oil filter adapter.
^^ The RMS always looks guilty because that's where most other oil leaks end up running then dripping, but it's more likely to be the Oil filter adapter, valve cover gasket, oil pressure sender, etc...something higher up. Not that the RMS can't be the source, but check the easy stuff first.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM

alright really appreciate the help guys. my last question is that 'spatting' noise. it doesnt ever do it till the engines warmed up. it really sounds like its oil spitting out hitting something, but im not sure? she might be off the road for a while till i can get the denaro to fix it lol
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aJeepNamedGail
alright really appreciate the help guys. my last question is that 'spatting' noise. it doesnt ever do it till the engines warmed up. it really sounds like its oil spitting out hitting something, but im not sure? she might be off the road for a while till i can get the denaro to fix it lol
You said you get burning oil smoke after hearing that noise? I'd warm the engine up, pop the hood and rev it up until you hear the noise. Hopefully you'll see where it's coming from. Pressure does increase with rpm, might well be spitting past a weak seal. Perhaps the oil filter adapter or pressure sender?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Figure out your oil leak yourself using this:

Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.
I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.
Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.
Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?
A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.
First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Revised 9-15-2012
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 AM

thankyou, seriously guys thank you so much. im gonna try to work on her today and see what i can find and ill get back to you guys with my findings. i did just go under the hood and found that the valve cover bolts werent snug. i mean they werent lose like they were falling off or anything, but with added pressure thats where it could ve been coming from. ive got oil all on the side of my engine so it WOULD kind of make sense for my dumb a$$ lol
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

thankyou, seriously guys thank you so much. im gonna try to work on her today and see what i can find and ill get back to you guys with my findings. i did just go under the hood and found that the valve cover bolts werent snug. i mean they werent lose like they were falling off or anything, but with added pressure thats where it could ve been coming from. ive got oil all on the side of my engine so it WOULD kind of make sense for my dumb a$$ lol
You call yourselff a dumb a$$, but you're gonna be alot smarter than anybody that GUESSED at what your problem is by the end of the day!!

You've already made progress.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
You call yourselff a dumb a$$, but you're gonna be alot smarter than anybody that GUESSED at what your problem is by the end of the day!!

You've already made progress.

lol thanks man i appreciate that. guys i did go ahead and changed the valve cover gasket (where one of the spots was leaking oil) and i changed the O-rings in the oil filter adapter but shes still leaking. im thinking that my next step is the oil pan honestly cause im starting to hear some rattling at higher RPM's. i found the spatting noise under the hood. its the fand right behind the radiator hitting the shroud. any guess's as to why that would be happening? i was thinking along the lines of a bad bearing or bushing. AGAIN, thankyou guys so much for your help i really appreciate it a lot.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

lol thanks man i appreciate that. guys i did go ahead and changed the valve cover gasket (where one of the spots was leaking oil) and i changed the O-rings in the oil filter adapter but shes still leaking. im thinking that my next step is the oil pan honestly cause im starting to hear some rattling at higher RPM's. i found the spatting noise under the hood. its the fand right behind the radiator hitting the shroud. any guess's as to why that would be happening? i was thinking along the lines of a bad bearing or bushing. AGAIN, thankyou guys so much for your help i really appreciate it a lot.
Probably bad motor mounts. Take a look at em. I'm sure you'll find that the rubber has been worn down a lot