Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

8.25" Pinion Yoke Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 8.25" Pinion Yoke Install

I want to drill my rear yoke on my 29-spline, 8.25 so I can use u-bolts as u-joint retainers.

I might as well get a new yoke while I'm at it. I know there is a crush sleeve in there to set pre-load but I don't know what for or how to check it. I also know that there are 2 diffrent yokes. one being 2.75" and one being 3". I dont know which I have but ill find out.

I need to know the torque spec for the yoke bolt itself and how to check preload and what it is exactly that being "pre-loaded" Bassically how to change the yoke by the book and do it right.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I do is to use a center punch and mark the nut and the end of the pinion at the same spot so that you can re tighten until those marks line up

I recommend red locktight on the nut when you install it for added insurance that it will not back off on you. You will need a way to hold the yoke tightly while you reset the nut to right spot

There is no torque spec for a crush sleeve, the only spec you have is your pinion bearing preload spec which is set with only the pinion installed and the spec will be "inch pounds" set with a "beam style/inch pound torque wrench"

This spec is usually 16-25 inch pounds(read while turning the pinion only(no carrier installed) with the torque wrench)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM

I forgot to add that there is a pinion spacer kit available for the 8.25, I'm running it in my trail rig so if I snap a yoke I can replace it on the trail without messing with the pinion bearing pre-load. I carry a spare yoke.

I'm also running titanium straps vs U-bolts or the stock straps.

Here is a pic of my 8.25/4.88 Nitro Gears/Yukon Alloys/Aussie/RuffStuff Truss
Name:  P1020223.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  P1020216.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  170.0 KB

Last edited by xjtrailrider; 12-05-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

So they make shims to replace the stock crush sleeve??? So if it was set up right in the first place and i just removed the sleeve and added shims i would be ok???

Ive seen the titanium straps but whats that do to help stop the bolt from sheering in the yoke???
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pnguyen7
So they make shims to replace the stock crush sleeve??? So if it was set up right in the first place and i just removed the sleeve and added shims i would be ok???
No you can not add the spacer kit to the crush sleeve. To add the spacer kit you will have to disassemble the axle, install the spacer/shims and set the pinion bearing pre-load to spec. So with the spacer kit your yoke is tightened to a torque spec, no more chancing over-tightening(crushing) the crush sleeve while changing out a yoke and risking adding too much pre-load

Ive seen the titanium straps but whats that do to help stop the bolt from sheering in the yoke???
I've sheared just as many U-bolt straps as I have strap bolts. The advantage to the titanium straps is to retain the caps better, thats about it. They are strong as hell to, I haven't snapped them yet.....

Last edited by xjtrailrider; 12-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

I want to be able to fix a broke u joint on the trail. So thats the reason for the ubolts intead of regular straps. no more sheered bolts in the yoke itself
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

I might not even change the yoke out in the 1st place. I might just drill into the yoke like the write-up says and add the u-bolts. I just figured if im drilling into the yoke might as well add a new yoke with drilled holes for the u-bolts.

I dont wanna remove my gears. Not qualified. When i re-gear and lock its going to the shop. The most ill do is add the ZJ discs. And do the u-bolt u-joint strap conversion.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

I might Lock it myself. Im deciding between a detroit or a no-slip. then just take it to a shop to have it regeared or let them lock and regear for me and save me the trouble.

Ive heard ppl have troubles getting the no-slip installed right. They install it wrong and it wont drive right or just wont lock at all. Then the paddles brake on them and the cant get the locker back out because its broken and the c-clips wont come out.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM

You can safely remove the yoke on a crush sleeve as long as you carefully re-install it. You do not want to over-tighten and crush the sleeve further or under-tighten and create a loose pinion bearing pre-load. Just mark the nut to the pinion shaft and tighten it back to that spot with locktight
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM

I might Lock it myself. Im deciding between a detroit or a no-slip. then just take it to a shop to have it regeared or let them lock and regear for me and save me the trouble.

Ive heard ppl have troubles getting the no-slip installed right. They install it wrong and it wont drive right or just wont lock at all. Then the paddles brake on them and the cant get the locker back out because its broken and the c-clips wont come out.
I've only ran two types of lockers in the 8.25, A full case Detroit and the Aussie. I've never had an issue with either one. I have one of the first 8.25 Aussies produced that is now going on 3 years of wheelin since installed and it barely shows wear. I can't speak for other brands as I have never ran any of them
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Im just worried about DD the detroit. i dont get traction coming off a red light in the rain. and i hear you shouldnt accel outta turns with a detroit.
Im not sure of the difficulty of installation either.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

I want to do the u-bolt u-joint strap conversion. I have no problem drilling into the t-case yoke because thats easy to replace once my SYE is on. So i can drill that out for u-bolts i think.

I might end up not replacing the rear yoke and just drill into it for the u-bolts and if i ever need to replace the yoke ill send it to the shop.

Are there any mods for the front axle yoke using u-bolts??? I know the rear of the front DS is the Double Cardon so that just leaves the axle side. If anything get a spare front Ds from the junkyard and put have u-joints in it for spares.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

You can do the unbolt conversion on the front yoke also depending on the type of yoke you have. I did the same thing on the front of my jeep and now I just carry spare unbolts and joints when I go wheeling.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Thats good to know. What did you drill it out to? 5/16th like the rear?? I just might do that.