Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 Codes One Light ? ? ?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1998 4.0L Inline 6
Default 4 Codes One Light ? ? ?

ok so my check engine light came on and im throwing 4 codes...

P0202
Injector circut open cylinder 2

P0301
Cylinder 1 Misfire

P0420
Catalyst system efficiency below threshhold

P0171
Bank system too lean

i dont know why they were thrown or how to fix them... any ideas as of why i got them? and how would i got about fixing them???

thanks for the help in advaced
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

O2 sensor or sensors or cat converter issues for the 420 and 171. The others could also be O2 related or leaky or failing injector or ignition issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Are you having any symptoms? Very important to know that.

Having those 4 codes come up all of a sudden would be pretty strange. They're not closely related.

You might want to freshen all engine grounds and reset the computer and see what comes back.....
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
O2 sensor or sensors or cat converter issues for the 420 and 171. The others could also be O2 related or leaky or failing injector or ignition issue.
O2 sensor after cat is new... the lean code is from my crack in the manifold... and i have no cat

i was going to get new injectors anyways because i suspeced they were getting pretty crapy but my plugs wires cap and rotor are brand new
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Are you having any symptoms? Very important to know that.

Having those 4 codes come up all of a sudden would be pretty strange. They're not closely related.

You might want to freshen all engine grounds and reset the computer and see what comes back.....
i only really get symptoms after its running for a while... if i run for about an hour and i shut the truck off for like 5 minutes to go into a store and start the truck back up it boggs and stalls. i could press the gass to the floor and it will go nowhere...

somtimes after it stalls it wont start for 20-30 minutes until it cools down... i could press the gass to the floor and it will go nowhere...

also i get really bad mpg... im talkin like 10 mpg
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Start with getting that exhaust manifold replaced or at least welded. That lean condition can get to a point where it really futzes with engine management.

Trying to figure out one problem when you have another known issue tends to complicate things quickly.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by Gizmo52
O2 sensor after cat is new... the lean code is from my crack in the manifold... and i have no cat

i was going to get new injectors anyways because i suspeced they were getting pretty crapy but my plugs wires cap and rotor are brand new
This is highly suspect in the P0420 code, as the post cat O2 sensor is for monitoring how the cat is working. Even though you may not have emission testing in your area it is still required to have a catalytic converter.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

Research heat-soak that might help you mine would do this too i find when i start mine back up after its hot and i rev the snot out of it, it stops worth a try new injectors wouldn't hurt i went to the orange ford injectors
Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

and i have no cat
i could press the gass to the floor and it will go nowhere...

The problem you have in the second quote is a result of not having a Cat on your vehicle . Put a cat on and change both the O2 sensors and that should resolve the "loading up" problem.

Sounds like you also have a sticking injector, time to either clean em or replace them.

As has been said by others, a Catalytic Converter is a FEDERALLY REQUIRED piece of emissions equipment and needs to be on your Jeep to ensure proper engine function.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

In running the same set up as the op i dont have "loading up" problems i actually run slightly rich! Unlike his lean code! Yes the cel stays on but i have no problems with this i gained benifits better throttle response, less motor temps(me jeeps runs cooler then anyone i know and just discovered my electric fan doesn't work , slight to insignificant mileage gains so i dont see that causing the problem and you can get resistors to trick the computer into running as if it had a cat so why would you need it ( off road purposes only)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xjbeans
In running the same set up as the op i dont have "loading up" problems i actually run slightly rich! Unlike his lean code! Yes the cel stays on but i have no problems with this i gained benifits better throttle response, less motor temps(me jeeps runs cooler then anyone i know and just discovered my electric fan doesn't work , slight to insignificant mileage gains so i dont see that causing the problem and you can get resistors to trick the computer into running as if it had a cat so why would you need it ( off road purposes only)

Remember that discussing the removal or non-use of a catalytic converter is a prohibited topic on this forum (aside from the context of replacing the missing equipment).
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by xjbeans
Research heat-soak that might help you mine would do this too i find when i start mine back up after its hot and i rev the snot out of it, it stops worth a try new injectors wouldn't hurt i went to the orange ford injectors
thats what i thought it was... did u gain or lose power with those injectors? and did u gain or lose MPG? and did u need to replace the harness for the injectors or did u get adapters?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=xjsnake;1486911]The problem you have in the second quote is a result of not having a Cat on your vehicle . Put a cat on and change both the O2 sensors and that should resolve the "loading up" problem.

QUOTE]
what i ment in me flooring it was when the truck runs fine i floor it and it really goes... only when its hot and bogging and i floor it then it goes nowhere
Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by xjsnake
Remember that discussing the removal or non-use of a catalytic converter is a prohibited topic on this forum (aside from the context of replacing the missing equipment).
im just giving my set up... not suggesting taking them off just saying i dont have one so mayb thats a contributing factor
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Start with getting that exhaust manifold replaced or at least welded. That lean condition can get to a point where it really futzes with engine management.

Trying to figure out one problem when you have another known issue tends to complicate things quickly.
ill try welding it but its a really hard spot to reach... its on the upper part ofr the collector tube... but ill try

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 Codes One Light ? ? ?