Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 Oil Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L AMC242 I6
Default 4.0 Oil Issue

Well, on the way home from a wheeling trip a few days ago, I lost all oil pressure. I pulled over and checked the oil level. Sure enough, I was empty. Filled it back up, got about 30lbs back and drove another 10 minutes when same thing happened. I then noticed oil leaking everywhere, mostly coming out what looked like in between the inspection cover and the bell housing. Thinking it was a rear main seal, I called a buddy who brought lots of oil so I could make it the last 10 miles. Well it turns out that the o-ring on the oil filter got dislodged, I don't know how, I was baffled. I've always done my own oil changes and always make sure it's done correctly. Last oil change was about 1500 miles ago. Well, I changed the oil and got a new filter, and it stopped leaking as far as I could tell, but runs like its got sand in it. And sometime before I changed the oil filter, the oil pressure gauge maxed itself out. Well, thinking its the pressure sending unit, I took it off and cranked the engine. Hmmm, no oil coming out of the manifold. Took the oil filter off to find that no oil has or is moving. But before the oil change, oil was gurgling out of the old oil filter. Well, now I'm thinking the worst. Either a bad oil pump, or a clogged screen or something. I don't know, I'm gonna sleep on it. I'm open to suggestions and/or opinions.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PlethoraOfGuns
Well, on the way home from a wheeling trip a few days ago, I lost all oil pressure. I pulled over and checked the oil level. Sure enough, I was empty. Filled it back up, got about 30lbs back and drove another 10 minutes when same thing happened. I then noticed oil leaking everywhere, mostly coming out what looked like in between the inspection cover and the bell housing. Thinking it was a rear main seal, I called a buddy who brought lots of oil so I could make it the last 10 miles. Well it turns out that the o-ring on the oil filter got dislodged, I don't know how, I was baffled. I've always done my own oil changes and always make sure it's done correctly. Last oil change was about 1500 miles ago. Well, I changed the oil and got a new filter, and it stopped leaking as far as I could tell, but runs like its got sand in it. And sometime before I changed the oil filter, the oil pressure gauge maxed itself out. Well, thinking its the pressure sending unit, I took it off and cranked the engine. Hmmm, no oil coming out of the manifold. Took the oil filter off to find that no oil has or is moving. But before the oil change, oil was gurgling out of the old oil filter. Well, now I'm thinking the worst. Either a bad oil pump, or a clogged screen or something. I don't know, I'm gonna sleep on it. I'm open to suggestions and/or opinions.
one thing at a time. if you know someone who has one, try to see if you're getting any oil pressure. if not, drop the pan and go from there.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Check the oil pump functionality by turning the distributor shaft with a drill.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

wait... you ran the jeep with no oil because it leaked out and now your asking us why it drives funny?

Mark
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jeepgeek2002
wait... you ran the jeep with no oil because it leaked out and now your asking us why it drives funny?

Mark
Well, no. I changed the oil filter and the oil, expecting it to be fine. Well, thats when it ran like crap. But I dropped the oil pan and found out that the oil pump had randomly gone bad at the same time as the rear main seal and the oil filter o-ring. So it ran funny because well, there was no oil flow. What had me confused was the fact that the oil filter o-ring, the oil pressure sending unit, the rear main seal, and the oil pump all went bad at the same time.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by PlethoraOfGuns
What had me confused was the fact that the oil filter o-ring, the oil pressure sending unit, the rear main seal, and the oil pump all went bad at the same time.
That is normal, Jeeps surrender when they arrive at a certain age, they have had enough..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by fantic238
That is normal, Jeeps surrender when they arrive at a certain age, they have had enough..
Never surrender! Haha...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

Just out of curiousity what type of filter? I had a purlator filter leak at the o-ring
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM

It was a Purlator, haha. I usually use Fram, because they have the black grip stuff on them which makes changing the oil filter on older Cherokee's much easier.