Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 litre ticks out of nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0 litre ticks out of nowhere

My engine (97 motor) has suddenly developed a ticking sound. It seems louder when the engine is cold, and sometimes it disapears randomly. It sounds like a sewing machine and gets faster with the revs. I have no lost power and I just took it through an oil change today. The sound seems loudest underneath by the driver side wheel. any ideas? Its just strange cause my cherokee never ticked before. Also oil pressure is normal.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Have somebody power-brake it, a little, while you try to listen around the exhaust manifold, header pipe, even with a hose. Gas blasting past that doughnut where they meet can sort of make a "ticking".
Old 12-29-2011, 05:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Happened after the oil change? What brand of oil filter is on there now?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM

It happened before oil change, I was hoping it would help fix it. Ill have a look after work today.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Cracked/Loose manifold?
I just had what i thought was a lifter tick; turns out it was a loose manifold. The last bolts that hold the underside of the intake and also the hardest to reach manifold bolt was on finger tight. Redid it with a new header and no more tick.

Giveaway was exhaust fumes in the engine compartment when running.

Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by McHank
Cracked/Loose manifold?
I just had what i thought was a lifter tick; turns out it was a loose manifold. The last bolts that hold the underside of the intake and also the hardest to reach manifold bolt was on finger tight. Redid it with a new header and no more tick.

Giveaway was exhaust fumes in the engine compartment when running.

Just a thought.

Agree with checking your header. I have one that cracked where the tubing from the head meets with the collector. Since you mentioned it is louder on the drivers side, where your header is, I would wait until the motor is cold then as soon as it is started try and feel around the header for any exhaust leaks. Obviously do this quickly because it gets hot fast.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Year: 2000

I had the same issue. on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay there is a little emmsions control solenoid. Put your hand on that and see if that is where your sound is coming from. Let me know if you need a pic. i can run out and take one for ya.

dave
Old 12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Have somebody power-brake it, a little, while you try to listen around the exhaust manifold, header pipe, even with a hose. Gas blasting past that doughnut where they meet can sort of make a "ticking".
I like the "COLD Idea, save a little pain! And Yea, Cruiser has said he has seen them come in with the manifold to head bolts loose. That doughnut though, takes a bit of abuse trying to hold up the Jeep when you are balancing it on the exhaust pipe!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L HO

It's a sticking lifter. Gum and varnish build up in one of your lifters is causing the piston within the lifter to stick and not hydraulically pump up all the way causing a rocker arm to clatter or tick.

Unfortunately oil changes or changing to a different oil will not fix this. You have to clean out the gum and varnish in you engine gently as to not cause a main seal leak.

At your next oil change, use 1 qt of Marvels Mystery oil in lue of qt of oil and run it until your next oil change. This will gently disolve any gum of varnish. try to refrain from using harsh chemical cleaners, they work too good and also strip and carbon built up in your block that could be helping old main seals from leaking. I see these cleaners cause main seal leaks. So you cure one problem and create another in the process.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Norsk62
It's a sticking lifter. Gum and varnish build up in one of your lifters is causing the piston within the lifter to stick and not hydraulically pump up all the way causing a rocker arm to clatter or tick.

Unfortunately oil changes or changing to a different oil will not fix this. You have to clean out the gum and varnish in you engine gently as to not cause a main seal leak.

At your next oil change, use 1 qt of Marvels Mystery oil in lue of qt of oil and run it until your next oil change. This will gently disolve any gum of varnish. try to refrain from using harsh chemical cleaners, they work too good and also strip and carbon built up in your block that could be helping old main seals from leaking. I see these cleaners cause main seal leaks. So you cure one problem and create another in the process.
That's what I'm doing on both of my Jeeps. After only 200 miles, I see an improvement. If you get the tick on cold start-up, shut the engine off, wait a few seconds and re-start. Many times the lifter will be quiet. Don't just leave it hammering until it goes away if you can help it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Well I finally got around to looking at it again, used a stephiscope and found out it is definetly coming from the bottom end of the motor, Also it is a bit louder and more of a knock now I dont think it goes away randomly anymore but I dont wanna drive it to find out. if it doesnt rain tommorow i may drain oil and drop the pan for a closer look around, and check the flywheel. Thanks for the help guys!