Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 Engine Serial Number

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 4.0 Engine Serial Number

Looking for the 4.0 engine serial number. Not the one just forward of the distributer. This one is the last letter, then 6 digits that match the last of your vin number. For instance mine is T003600. Yes, I know the number, But the DMV here in Thailand requires a pic of it to register the vehicle in my name.It may be under the alternator bracket at the front of the engine block. Can anyone verify this for me. Removing the alternator bracket is beyond my physical ability on this 96 XJ at 75 yrs old.
So, anyway, I don't want to pay someone to do this until I can confirm it is located in that location. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

The block casting and date codes are all im aware of. I dont remember the blocks having the VIN on them.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:14 PM

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

My Subaru (Asian based vehicle) includes the VIN on the engine and I think on the trans as well. I don't know that older American cars do this. Your local law may just be unaware of how older American cars were built.

The Factory Service Manual should list the places where the VIN is stamped. Check cruiser54.com to see if there is a manual there that matches your Jeep.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:12 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 607 Likes on 517 Posts
Year: 96

BUILD DATE CODE
The engine Build Date Code is located on a machined
surface on the right side of the cylinder block
between the No.3 and No.4 cylinders

As per 95 FSM, which gives further detail, Chapter 9, page 14

there is a helpful pic shows were it is, looks visible

This FSM was/is on Cruiser54 website

further detail;

The digits of the code identify:
(1) 1st Digit—The year (4 = 1994).
(2) 2nd & 3rd Digits—The month (01 - 12).
(3) 4th & 5th Digits—The engine type/fuel system/
compression ratio (HX = A 2.5 liter (150 CID) 9.1:1
compression ratio engine with a multi-point fuel injection
system).
(4) 6th & 7th Digits—The day of engine build (01 -
31).
FOR EXAMPLE: Code * 401HX23 * identifies a
2.5 liter (150 CID) engine with a multi-point fuel injection
system, 9.1:1 compression ratio and built on
January 23, 1994.

I do not see where there is any further reference to a serial number. That would be the engine serial number
The following users liked this post:
Mario Joseph Buttigieg (10-30-2022)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies to all. It's not the Date Code or the VIN code they want. It's the last 7 of the VIN code. This Jeep was made in Thailand, so it should comply with Thai law, which is often very fuzzy. The factory may have just had an aluminum tag stamped out and cemented to the block, I am told. It could have fallen off sometime in the past 23 yrs. Today I go the Big DMV office where I will bring my lunch and hope to talk to someone with authority to sign a waiver and get this handled. The vehicle is a one owner until me.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 301 Likes on 250 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Just out of interest;It was made in Thailand and had one previous owner, I assume in Thailand?
So they need, again, that info for registration on your name!? He would have had to provide that info to them already, no?

Guess bring a little money along with your lunch, might 'aid' the process of "finding the necessary stamp needed"...😉
Old 04-28-2021, 07:20 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dennisgb45
Thanks for the replies to all. It's not the Date Code or the VIN code they want. It's the last 7 of the VIN code. This Jeep was made in Thailand, so it should comply with Thai law, which is often very fuzzy. The factory may have just had an aluminum tag stamped out and cemented to the block, I am told. It could have fallen off sometime in the past 23 yrs. Today I go the Big DMV office where I will bring my lunch and hope to talk to someone with authority to sign a waiver and get this handled. The vehicle is a one owner until me.
The "date code" is a 7 digit code, according to the info I provided from the FSM...have you cross- checked that number with the VIN ?

I have dealt with engine serial numbers quite a lot. Be surprised if I am wrong

...and yeah..I would ask whether it was possible to "purchase" a specially approved permit
Old 04-28-2021, 10:06 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dennisgb45
Ok, maybe I a wrong, and misread your answer here

enter the following into Google, and you will find additional info, including a Youtube

"location of serial number on jeep cherokee xj 4.0 engines"

4.0l serial number location - JeepForum.com

They call it a "block casting number"

I would locate the relevant numbers on the block and let them decide whether they wish to designate the block casting number or build date as the "engine serial number"