Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3" lift complications?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question 3" lift complications?

I'm thinking of installing a 3" lift, new springs and shocks, and was wondering what complications, if any, I might encounter.

By complications, I mean anything involving cutting/grinding. I have zero skill in this department, nor do I have the tools necessary.

The vehicle in question is my '87 xj, it currently has a 2" AAL/shock kit on it (sagging, bad bushings in back)

Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

The only complication you may/or WILL have is the rear upper shock bolts breaking. There's like a 84% chance of them breaking due to rust. If you have an impact gun, i highly recommend you use it. Tap the trigger just a bit to loosen, then retighten, then tap it again to loosen a bit more, and retighten and repeat till it comes out. Never force it or you will be cursing and throwing wrenches from under your jeep. If there's no impact, cross your toes and do the above method with a socket wrench instead. DON'T force it. They are like cats when you shove them in the tub for a bath. They grab onto anything they can to prevent going in the water. If you force them, they will grab ahold of you and cut you to shreds. If you go gentle, pick off one claw at a time, they will give up and go in.

If they do break, there's a way to knock the nuts off, that are tack welded to the frame so don't freak out.

That's the only thing i can think of, except maybe getting the coils out. If you have to, disconnect the trackbar, shocks, sway bar links, and lower the axle as far as it will go. If that doesn't do it, jack up the opposite end and the end you are working on should lower a bit more. If that fails, punch the tire to release the aggression and go rent coil spring compressors at your parts store.

HTH and good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Alright I have about 2~3 months to go before I have enough saved up to do it (tax return=jeep parts )
Old 11-24-2008, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
Alright I have about 2~3 months to go before I have enough saved up to do it (tax return=jeep parts )
While you are waiting for that return, start spraying PB Blaster on those bolts (below and above the frame). It'll help loosen em over time. That stuff works wonders.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0L HO

x2 on the upper rear shock nuts, I had one snap off per side. So I knocked the nuts out using a ladies foot and a BFH and dropped bolts in the top. Threw a weld on them to keep them in place. Your front coils will be the absolute most fun in the world. You have 2 choices you can get a friend and to big pry bars and you can pry them out or you can disconnect everything that holds your axle on and easily put them on and off... I honestly think disconnecting everything is faster, but I ended up doing it the more phsyically strenous way cause my brothers are mechanics and thats the way they've always did their front springs on the XJ.... its quite fun.... Oh and the absolute biggest problem that will involve cutting is that you will want to run bigger tires then 29's or 30's and if you do they will cram/rub making you want to cut your fenders out more. That and the need for towpoints on the front and rear will make you want to get new bumpers, and bolt ons are retarded expensive...
Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

So basically spray any bolt I could be loosening I should spray with pb blaster?

PS: anyone know if I'll need new front arms? Anything other than the lift kit that'd I'll have to buy?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Year: 98

just soak every bolt u will either loosen or completly take off for a week before u do the lift. i dont know if anyone mentioned it but make sure ur kit comes with some kind of brake line extension or buy one. my rear line is ok for dd duty but right now if i flexed without putting my extension on i would rip the line. oh and for the front springs i went to the local advance rented a strut sping compressor which was 54$ and u get it back when u return it, undid the sway bar links and shocks and didnt have any problems getting them out. u wont need new lower control arms either.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Okay, thanks. My front brake lines should be fine, i checked out where they were mounted and apparently my dad already moved them down. They're mounted about as low as they'll go inside the back of the wheel well. I'll check the back brake lines and see if they've been extended too.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Okay I've decided on a kit, the RC series one 3" lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

Some people who have done lifts say they need a SYE. I was looking and these are pretty spendy. Anything along the drive train that I'll need to get replaced/upgraded?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Okay I've decided on a kit, the RC series one 3" lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

Some people who have done lifts say they need a SYE. I was looking and these are pretty spendy. Anything along the drive train that I'll need to get replaced/upgraded?
I'm not sure if the kit comes with brake line brackets or not but it would be best to replace your rear soft brake line with a longer one. You can get a 1995 jeep YJ rear brake line for about $20 and its' 3" longer. The front hard line bracket can be simply bent down and a hole drilled for the bracket and it'll be long enough for up to 4.5" lift.

Sye kits are not really that much $$.

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....ce9b47e06f33b7

Find a front xj shaft, preferably a 97-01 auto front shaft, and stick in the rear. That should cost about $50 at a junk yard. I spent only $250 on my sye. Another option would be a transfer case drop. It's cheap and does the job. The only downside is you are lowering your crossmember so it may lose an inch or two of ground clearance. it's not that bad really.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

I have rear drums, not disk brakes. I was looking at the rear differential and my brakeline actually follows that down so I *shouldn't* need a new one of those. i'll take a better look at it in a bit. When you say to find a front auto shaft, do you mean take the front drive shaft out of an automatic tranny and use it for my rear drive shaft (I have a 5-speed manual). My front brake lines are already mounted about as low as possible in the fender, thank god.

So, other than brake lines, will everything be able to do the job for a 3" lift? Or is there more parts that I will need?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

I have rear drums, not disk brakes. I was looking at the rear differential and my brakeline actually follows that down so I *shouldn't* need a new one of those. i'll take a better look at it in a bit. When you say to find a front auto shaft, do you mean take the front drive shaft out of an automatic tranny and use it for my rear drive shaft (I have a 5-speed manual). My front brake lines are already mounted about as low as possible in the fender, thank god.

So, other than brake lines, will everything be able to do the job for a 3" lift? Or is there more parts that I will need?
springs, shocks, extended, modded, or yj lines, and maybe relocate the trackbar over an inch. might not have to. adjustable would be nice. Lift it and then address the issues afterwards. It won't be undriveable if there's an issue so you have time to fix it.

those are about the basic things you will need.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Alright, thanks. I'll let you know how big of a pandora's box I've opened after I do the lift.