Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

242 Transfer Case issues/question- opinons!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 242 Transfer Case issues/question- opinons!

Hey all, this is long but details are good!

I have a 2000 with the 242 tcase. When I first got the jeep (around 146,000 miles) I noticed a driveline vibration when running at speeds above 55 MPH. It seemed to me like a bad U-joint in the driveshaft, so as soon as i got it home i changed all the joints in the rear D-shaft.

Still the same issue-high frequency vibrations on the highway. So then I took off the front D-shaft to see if that was the culprit but the issue was still there. So that narrowed it down to the transfer case for me (is what i'm thinking anyway). Well the vibration wasn't so bad so I let it go and kept my eye on it. Fast forward to 152,000 miles and the vibration is getting worse. Also now on acceleration from a stop it feels like something is wobbling but only up until about 20 mph can i feel it, after that it goes away. Its like a whom-whom-whomp kinda sound (hard to describe in words...maybe a loose chain?), and gets worse with increased throttle (the harder i hit the gas the more i notice it).

So now here I am, with the tcase torn all apart. Before i took everything apart i got the tires off the ground and put everything in neutral. when I spun the driveshaft i could definitely hear things spinning around in there (in comparison i have a 98 with the 231 and heard nothing when i did this).
with the case apart and the chain off, I was able to spin the main shaft (with the planetary gearset/diff in the jeep and it made a noise like the teeth weren't meshing correctly.

So here's my question......Is this a common thing for the planetary gears to be messed up? The teeth aren't all marred up, though some have a few knicks in them. I wasn't able to get the planetary housing apart, but it sure seems like there's something up in there. Then again Ive never done this before.

If anyone has had a similar issue or any type of input, I'd appreciate it greatly! I tried to give all the details, but if i missed something just ask!

Too long: My transfer case makes a weird noise and i get driveline vibrations at highway speed.