Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken Rear Axle Brake Hard Line

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Broken Rear Axle Brake Hard Line

I was extending the rear brake line on the XJ in preparation for my wheeling trip tomorrow- ended up braking this bad boy.
Name:  20131123_213502_zpsd059aa1a.jpg
Views: 5157
Size:  86.9 KB

I've never done anything regarding brake lines before except for bleeding. What is the quickest/ best way to repair this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The quickest way is also the only way- replace it. You may have to use some penetrating oil and/or heat on the fittings to get them to back out of the block and wheel cylinder.
If you aren't sure what to get, bring the old line and fittings in and match it up.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:29 AM
EdZ

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

It appears the line broke off when you were turning the flare nut (I noticed the shiny thread showing)... Likely you will have issues at the wheel cylinder end as well... I just let that end twist off the line as well... Then measure the length of the line and head out to your favorite parts store and get a premade (cut and flared) line... Bend the new line sorta like the old one is and then make minor bends to make it fit... I like to put some Never-Seaze on the line area under the flare nut just to make the next guys time in there easier... Turns out that guy ends up being me most of the time... Not so much with brake lines, but more so in other areas...
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Like Radi said, replace it, there is really nothing possible (or wanted) with that old line there.
Trick for the wheelcylinder if it is as rusted at the connection as this brakeline: Twist the wheelcylinder to 'unscrew' the line from it, instead of trying to turn the nut of the brakeline where it connects to the wheelcylinder (since this will likely give you the same problem as in the picture). So, remove the rear drum to get access to this.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Nice, time for new hard lines. If you don't get a pre-bent one, be careful to not put any line where the bumpstops can crush 'em. Ask me how I know

Also, what happened to your axle vent?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
Nice, time for new hard lines. If you don't get a pre-bent one, be careful to not put any line where the bumpstops can crush 'em. Ask me how I know

Also, what happened to your axle vent?
Looks like it got...'bolted'
Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM
EdZ

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Roler
Like Radi said, replace it, there is really nothing possible (or wanted) with that old line there.
Trick for the wheelcylinder if it is as rusted at the connection as this brakeline: Twist the wheelcylinder to 'unscrew' the line from it, instead of trying to turn the nut of the brakeline where it connects to the wheelcylinder (since this will likely give you the same problem as in the picture). So, remove the rear drum to get access to this.
Rather than do all that I was suggesting he just break off the line at the wheel cylinder and then simply unscrew the flare nut... Could even used a socket on it if desired... No need to open up the brake drum of remove the wheel cylinder...
Old 11-24-2013, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

You' re right. But might not even need to hassle the flarenut. Anyway, different options given, OP to choose