Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

238K Miles - 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Tranny Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 238K Miles - 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Tranny Fluid Change?

Not sure if i should change the trans fluid in my jeep, have been driving it for about a year now, but it's been in the family for much longer. My Dad didn't change it regularly, and he drove it 100 miles 5 days a week up until about 225k. Oil changes and fixes that were needed weren't put off, but id' like to get the maximum lifespan out of this Jeep, because now i'm attached, and I adore the damn thing. Should i change it? If so, how should i go about doing so? What fluid to use?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

jeep xj correct?
chiltons guide recommends trans fluid change every 30000 miles or 24 months
prop it up on some stands, remove fill plug and drain old fluid into a pan
auto transmission-mopar mercon/dextron II preferred
manual transmission-mopar gear lubricant or equivalant of SAE 75W-90 (API-GL5) quality

for max life you should follow the maintenance techniques recommended by the manufacture

Last edited by Atmos; 02-19-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Atmos
jeep xj correct?
chiltons guide recommends trans fluid change every 30000 miles or 24 months
prop it up on some stands, remove fill plug and drain old fluid into a pan
auto transmission-mopar mercon/dextron II preferred
manual transmission-mopar gear lubricant or equivalant of SAE 75W-90 (API-GL5) quality

for max life you should follow the maintenance techniques recommended by the manufacture
Yes it's an XJ, i'm just concerned because i've heard hundreds of people say that their transmissions just ceased to live after changing the fluid, and i do not want that to happen!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Bettler
Yes it's an XJ, i'm just concerned because i've heard hundreds of people say that their transmissions just ceased to live after changing the fluid, and i do not want that to happen!
Haha I hate to say it but they probably had a GM 4l60 like my TA. It died within a month of doing this. These trannys are pretty tough and dropping the pan and replacing the filter and fluid only gets rid of like 60% of the old fluid so some 40% will still be in there. It's a gamble no matter what
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Just wandering what makes the tranny die after you changed the fluid on it!?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Change the fluid and/or filter. You'll be fine.

If it were mine, I would drain the fluid by removing the drain plug. Replace the sealing washer on the drain plug and reinstall it. Add about 3.8 quarts of Dexron ATF and be sure the fluid level is correct according to the instructions on the dipstick. Run it for a week or two. See what the fluid looks like. If it's not pink, and it probably won't be, repeat the drain and refill process.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Change the fluid and/or filter. You'll be fine.

If it were mine, I would drain the fluid by removing the drain plug. Replace the sealing washer on the drain plug and reinstall it. Add about 3.8 quarts of Dexron ATF and be sure the fluid level is correct according to the instructions on the dipstick. Run it for a week or two. See what the fluid looks like. If it's not pink, and it probably won't be, repeat the drain and refill process.
I agree with this strategy. Transmission fluid wears out and gets dirty, same as oil.

I would perform the procedure cruiser outlines. Then drive for a while between changes. The new fluid will gradually clean the transmission as you drive.

Then repeat this procedure until the fluid stays RED and does not smell BURNT. At that point, I'd drop the pan and change the filter as it's possible this has never been done.

Be careful not to overfill the transmission when you fill it; very easy to do. A little fluid goes a long ways on the dipstick!

And use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid, not ATF+4.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Roler
Just wandering what makes the tranny die after you changed the fluid on it!?
It was my understanding that on lesser trannys, the transmission fluid itself would clean all the clutch material from the clutch packs making them slip to a point of catastrophic failure. Still doesn't explain why my Acura Legend spit all the spider gears out of the case after a fluid flush
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker

And use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid, not ATF+4.
Arrgghh!!! I have a 95 Cherokee Sport as well. When I called the local Jeep dealership and gave him my VIN, he said ATF+4. As well, he said, according to the computer, that the 95 Cherokee doesnt use a tranny gasket, only a RTV sealant. So, which one is it? lol, very confused at the moment.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Not sure if i should change the trans fluid in my jeep, have been driving it for about a year now, but it's been in the family for much longer. My Dad didn't change it regularly, and he drove it 100 miles 5 days a week up until about 225k. Oil changes and fixes that were needed weren't put off, but id' like to get the maximum lifespan out of this Jeep, because now i'm attached, and I adore the damn thing. Should i change it? If so, how should i go about doing so? What fluid to use?
it a 50/50 gamble if the fluids brown and stinky id say leave it just keep it toped off,you could just change the filter and reuse same fluid
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
it a 50/50 gamble if the fluids brown and stinky id say leave it just keep it toped off,you could just change the filter and reuse same fluid
Well, is it true that if you don't do a complete flush it won't drain all of the fluid? If the fluid is brown/reddish, not burnt, and has no grit in it, i was told that it would be ok to change it. Not sure if this is true though.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Just do what Mr walker and I suggested. You're dealing with an extremely hardy trans here.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

When we dropped the tanny pan on ours, it had a pan gasket and the new filter kit included a new pan gasket. A very thin film of RTV on both sides of the gasket will virtually guarantee a good seal.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Well, dropped the pan today. Was a pain because for some reason we could not fully "drop" it, only got it to hang down. So we're hoping the RTV we put on holds a nice seal. Now i'm just hoping i did some good to my trans, instead of just signed it's life away!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

It's gonna be fine. How did the filter look?

Quick Reply: 238K Miles - 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Tranny Fluid Change?