Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 XJ Randomly will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 XJ Randomly will not turn over

I can't be the only one that this is happening to. This random action happens once or twice a month or so. Turn the ignition key... NOTHING. No sound at all. The interior lights goes dark, like someone disconnected the battery. I pop the hood, disconnect the hot side of the battery then immediately reconnect it. Interior light turns back on, turn the key and she starts right up. Transmission is always in park, though sometimes I check it just as a matter of course.
I'm wondering if, by removing the cable, then reconnecting it that Im resetting something that is faulty or sticking. Talked to multiple mechanics and they've never heard of such a thing.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like an ignition problem, you turn the key but the starter isn't getting any power. It would be odd, but it could be a sticking relay? I know there are relays in the engine bus that are starting/ignition related, maybe try swapping them around or getting new ones.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Sounds like an ignition problem, you turn the key but the starter isn't getting any power. It would be odd, but it could be a sticking relay? I know there are relays in the engine bus that are starting/ignition related, maybe try swapping them around or getting new ones.
From what the OP said it sounds more like the dash/power dies. disconnect and reconnect the battery then it works again.

Max
Old 10-19-2015, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

could also be the neutral safety switch/tranny range sensor which won't allow anything to happen if it thinks ur in drive. u can test this by find the plug where the wire is towards the back of the engine bay. Using a piece of wire, bypass the sensor(which will throw a code) and see if that helps. but that only works if ur having the symptoms. I just no that that is a common Cherokee issue which I've had on 2 different xjs