Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

car will not stay on without gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0
Default car will not stay on without gas

So my 1999 Cherokee has had some problems starting lately and for awhile I had to give it gas and rev the engine for about 5 min until it started to idle. I just replaced the battery a week ago and now the only way i can start it is if i jump it and give it gas but it dies when i stop giving it gas. right after i replaced the battery i drove it to the gas station fine and then when i tried to start my car again it just wouldn't start. once again i jumped it and had to give it gas for it to stay on but it wont idle. All the other threads have me wondering if its a problem with the alternator or something with the fuel system but im not sure were to start without wasting money
Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

sounds like it's not charging properly. If u have been able to jump it, give it has for a while, and then it finally idles, the alternator must be doing something. But the fact that u have s brand new battery that's dead means it's either draining or not charging. I would charge the battery with a plug in charger on slow for a few hours. Start it so that it runs. Then use a volt meter and test around. Battery terminals will be at 11.6-12.2 volts if the alternator is not charging it. The battery terminals will be around 13.7-14.1 if it is charging. Then also test the alternator at the alt(be careful poking around down there while it's running). See if there is any power directly from the alt. write down your results and share them on here to get a better idea of what's going on