Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Hood Closed/Latch Release "malfunction"

Old 08-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Hood Closed/Latch Release "malfunction"

The hood release is not working on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee (new cable installed about 6 mos). How do I open the hood? I have seen a couple videos involving headlight removal but mine do not appear to be setup the same (clearly the videos are not '01's). When I pull the release it has the proper "give" and I can hear it moving so I am guessing it has just become disconnected, likely an easy repair but first I gotta get in there. Any ideas? Sadly, the need for opening the hood is to replace the alternator so this just ain't my day. Any ideas or links to a video of an '01 would be greatly appreciated. Prayers for patience also accepted. Pic of my headlight well attached (I think)

2001 Hood Closed/Latch Release "malfunction"-image.jpeg
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Should be a bolt to the right of the driver side headlight and another bolt to the left of the passenger side headlight, with one each above those, facing down. You will see two bolt heads. That is them. Went to the yard a couple months ago looking at every 97-01 i could find and had to go thru the headlights on two of them. One was a 98 and the other a 2000. Someone took the cables and shut the hood after.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks. I think I got it figured out but the design of the well doesn't allow for straight access to the exposed bolt (thinking its a 1/2"). Going to need some kind of extension. I do have a wrench small enough to get it but no leverage.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:03 PM

Alrighty, I got the doggone thing open by removing the bolts behind the headlights. Any tips/links on putting it all back together?
Old 08-20-2016, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Anybody following, they often break right at the handle and you might get the stub with a vice-grips. (I lube mine often btw)

OP, isn't installation the opposite of removal? Haven't been there myself...yet!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Look for a slight discoloration (if there is any) or dirt buildup on the surrounding parts to line them up as best you can. Unless its a brand new vehicle fresh off the line or freshly painted part, you can usually tell where it was bolted down.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by mhopkins
Alrighty, I got the doggone thing open by removing the bolts behind the headlights. Any tips/links on putting it all back together?
You need to make certain the bolt or bolts that hold the bracket with the spring is secured good and tight. If the bracket has movement sometimes the bolt strips out the hole and/or bolt. The bolt hole sometimes needs to be repaired possibly going to larger bolt if too far gone.

The positioning and lubrication of the cable is important as well as lubrication of the side locks near the fenders.

After my factory oem completely broke and became damaged. I installed a new aftermarket. After quite a few months during the winter I went to open the hood, pulling on the handle wouldn't open the hood. I needed to work the cable in and out for a while in order to unlock the hood.

You need to make certain the side latches, cable and other mechanisms such as springs are working and not mucked up with too much dirt and grease. IIRC there is short spiral spring and a longer spring used with the the hood release.

For the hood release to work it's important the cable is positioned ok and is tight, secured and lubricated along with the springs and latches. The release handle needs to be installed and secured correctly.

I'm not really in favor of the design but it works ok when maintained.