Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Window Won't Work W/ Bizarre Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 2000 XJ Window Won't Work W/ Bizarre Symptoms

2000 Cherokee front driver's side window stopped functioning with no clear precipitants. For a month or so the window operated sporadically, going days working like normal and then stop working for an afternoon or so. For the past month and a half the window has stopped working completely. I will try to provide an overview of symptoms and fixes that have been attempted:

The driver's side master control panel panel still is able to control the passenger side window, the back windows, and can is able to adjust the side mirrors. Replaced master switch with a Dorman 901-405 Power Window Switch replacement but the problem persists.

The green lights for each individual switch on the driver master control panel all light up, including the front driver's side window.

While the master switch is able to control everything but the driver's side window, the front passenger window and the rear windows do not respond to their own switches and there is no green light in the switches (and yes, this is the case with the window lock button up or down).

All related fuses have been checked.

Attempted to power the window motor directly with no response up or down. So possibly the window motor needs to be replaced, but awaiting reply on here before purchasing that.

Are the symptoms listed consistent with a bad window motor? If not any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

My 2000 XJ driver's window is exactly the same as you describe.
I'm planning on investigating it properly and hopefully fixing it when the weather warms up a little.
There are a couple of "How To" videos on YouTube that suggest the window regulator in late XJs may have had a weakness (shocking, I know) and there is a plastic part with teeth on it that can be repaired relatively easily. Basically, the teeth break, the motor works but the regulator doesn't always shift the window.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ctkevin
2000 Cherokee front driver's side window stopped functioning with no clear precipitants. For a month or so the window operated sporadically, going days working like normal and then stop working for an afternoon or so. For the past month and a half the window has stopped working completely. I will try to provide an overview of symptoms and fixes that have been attempted:

The driver's side master control panel panel still is able to control the passenger side window, the back windows, and can is able to adjust the side mirrors. Replaced master switch with a Dorman 901-405 Power Window Switch replacement but the problem persists.

The green lights for each individual switch on the driver master control panel all light up, including the front driver's side window.

While the master switch is able to control everything but the driver's side window, the front passenger window and the rear windows do not respond to their own switches and there is no green light in the switches (and yes, this is the case with the window lock button up or down).

All related fuses have been checked.

Attempted to power the window motor directly with no response up or down. So possibly the window motor needs to be replaced, but awaiting reply on here before purchasing that.

Are the symptoms listed consistent with a bad window motor? If not any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I had the same problem on my 99 it was like that for months then I finally took the time one day and took the switch panel apart and there were places where the solder was cracked and I just soldered all of the connections and it's working good as new been about 4-5 months now.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1999jeepxj98

I had the same problem on my 99 it was like that for months then I finally took the time one day and took the switch panel apart and there were places where the solder was cracked and I just soldered all of the connections and it's working good as new been about 4-5 months now.
More then likely it is this but, if you have already applied to each window motor via the connector then it's the motor it's self. I can actually rebuild the motors by just cleaning the rotor and and getting new brushes. Worse case it still don't work you lose about 3 bucks. But if it does work saves you about 75 bucks.
Word of caution use a small interior panel tool to remove the buttons as they can break somewhat easy with just a little too much force
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have this same problem as well, except my mirrors don't adjust. I fixed the other windows individual operation by jumping the wires in the kick panel that run to the window lock switch, essentially bypassing it. But driver side is still unresponsive.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:58 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

I know this is 3 months old, but since I recently did my window regs what I would suggest is checking the wires that run through the door into the cabin. Those wires are super common to break, and when you have a broken wire who knows what else that might be affecting