Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Sport 36k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default 2000 Sport 36k miles

Hey guys, I recently got a great deal on a 2000 sport 2wd that has 36k miles on it. Besides the basic flush of the fluids and refilling them with new ones is there anything else yall suggest I do to it to. Keep in mind this is going to be my daily driver, hopefully for a long time. Also, my two passenger side windows will not go down, but my two driver side ones will. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

I would take off and check under the back plastic bumper cap things that cover the rear quarter panels, my 99 is nearly rust free except for under those bumper/ quarter cover things. And possibly check your floorboards. I dont know where you are located. I live in a state that salts so every vehicle rusts.

As for the windows, its possible the wires are pinched/ bent and broken, on my 99 whenever I open my front passenger door the speaker goes out, due to chrysler making a bad wire harness. The motors could be unplugged or bad, and check the window lock button, that may have caused it.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Fresh NGK copper plugs, gapped to .035. The ones in there are likely originals.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Had the Jeep been sitting for long time? If so, I would drain all the fluids and replace them. i.e., fuel, brake fluid, coolant, etc. How about the tires? OEM? If so, they need to be replaced.
Give us a little more detail about the history of the car so folks can provide you more constructive input. By the way, awesome find...Keep good take of it and don't let it overheat, ever.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by Sir_whee
Hey guys, I recently got a great deal on a 2000 sport 2wd that has 36k miles on it. Besides the basic flush of the fluids and refilling them with new ones is there anything else yall suggest I do to it to. Keep in mind this is going to be my daily driver, hopefully for a long time. Also, my two passenger side windows will not go down, but my two driver side ones will. Any suggestions?
Yea, deffinitely swap ALL the fluids, MAKE SURE you use DEX/MERC III in the transmission.

Also, you have the 2000. The 2000-2001 were known to have the defective 0331 head. Odds are your fine, and will be for a long time as long as you don't overheat it... but since this seems to be an XJ from heaven, you might consider investing in replacing the 0331 head with a TUPY head, just to ensure the longevity of your engine... I mean, if your thermostat craps out at 50k miles, and you overheat it, your at risk. I wouldn't dive into it immediately, but once you get all of your maintenance factors up to par, you might want to look into that

Search 0331 head on this, or any jeep forum, and youll see what im talking about
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

Thanks everyone, so my old truck blew a headgasket and I was on the search for about a week when I found this Jeep. It was this gentlemen's jeep that he had got off the showroom floor(came with all the paperwork), he kept it as his second vehicle and once he passed away his daughters sold it off, to me. It was kept in his mothers garage under a cover most of its life and it has always been in Florida so salt is not too much of an issue. Tires have been replaced with some AT and still have about 80% tread on them, although the rims have a little rust on them. I will definitely take a look into this 0331 head problem, still trying to recoup my finances after getting this, so that will probably have to wait a little bit. Im just out of college and looking to make this into a reliable vehicle for myself over the next few years. Is the transmission fluid something I would be able to do in the driveway? Im no expert, but a decent driveway mechanic and always try to fix it myself until I turn for help/mess things up. In the tampa area if anyone is around the area and wondering. Oil has already been changed since I got it last week and going to to the radiator fluids sometime next week. I live in an apartment complex so its not the most ideal location to work on my Jeep but I try to get around it. In the middle of replacing the headliner as we speak, got it taken out today and going apply new fabric tomorrow. Again, thanks for all the advice and let me know of anything else you know please.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Idk where Tampa, Florida is compared to the ocean, But I've heard of sea air screwing up/ corroding wiring/electrical. So keep that in mind.

However I'm not fully sure of it so do some research.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by Sir_whee
Thanks everyone, so my old truck blew a headgasket and I was on the search for about a week when I found this Jeep. It was this gentlemen's jeep that he had got off the showroom floor(came with all the paperwork), he kept it as his second vehicle and once he passed away his daughters sold it off, to me. It was kept in his mothers garage under a cover most of its life and it has always been in Florida so salt is not too much of an issue. Tires have been replaced with some AT and still have about 80% tread on them, although the rims have a little rust on them. I will definitely take a look into this 0331 head problem, still trying to recoup my finances after getting this, so that will probably have to wait a little bit. Im just out of college and looking to make this into a reliable vehicle for myself over the next few years. Is the transmission fluid something I would be able to do in the driveway? Im no expert, but a decent driveway mechanic and always try to fix it myself until I turn for help/mess things up. In the tampa area if anyone is around the area and wondering. Oil has already been changed since I got it last week and going to to the radiator fluids sometime next week. I live in an apartment complex so its not the most ideal location to work on my Jeep but I try to get around it. In the middle of replacing the headliner as we speak, got it taken out today and going apply new fabric tomorrow. Again, thanks for all the advice and let me know of anything else you know please.
No rush on the head issue, just don't forget about it...

Changing the trans fluid is incredibly easy on this jeep.

Literally pull out the dipstick, climb underneath, unbolt the drain plug, let it pour out into a pan/bucket/whatever, when its done, bolt it back up, then refill with same amount that came out, re-insert dipstick, and your done. Keep in mind this only gets a portion of it all out, but it is the safest way, so if you want to remove all the fluid, do this a couple times, with 100 miles of driving in between.

Also, the amount that comes out, people can't really decide on. Some people say 3.75 quarts, some say 2, some say three. So what I do, when its time to refill, Ill pour one quart in the transmission, then with another funnel, fill the now empty quart container with the dirty fluid. Repeat this between every quart you pour in, so that you know your putting in EXACTLY what you took out.