Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Error Code P0205

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Error Code P0205

Hello,
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport completely Stock with 100k on it.
I am getting error code P0205. I replaced the injector on cylinder #5. The wires connecting to this injector were in bad shape. Im guessing that this is from the heat of the engine. I replaced the connector and wires with a kit purchased from a jeep dealership. I am still getting the error code after these replacements. Engine is running very rough but starts right up every time.
I am getting 14v DC to the injector clip that connects to cylinder #5. Resistance is the same across all injectors when measured with a meter so i am confident that the injectors are not the issue.. Could this possibly be an issue with the ECU? I would imagine that if something were wrong with the ECU i would be having other issues instead of an issue on only 1 cylinder. I was thinking about bringing the vehicle to a mechanic that specializes in jeeps but am unsure if it should be driven in this condition. Please help! Thanks in advance! - Adam -
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0L

There is another post somewhere in here that talks about an injector that i guess you would say "vapor locks" due to being by the exhaust ( not 100% sure dont quote me) and i think it was either 5 or 6. jeep put out a heat shield kit of some sort that goes around the injector to keep this from happening. try wrapping some heat tape around it and see shat happens. good luck.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM

Thank You for the response. I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

The main issue that seems to pop up about the 00-01 models is usually caused by a condition called heat soak. Usually happens where cylinder #3 is the main issue.

There is a tsb out there for it, and it does call for some heat wrap stuff on the injectors. Im pretty sure the main issue that pops up is a rough idle/running after driving or a start after driving.

Not sure if its the same issue or what but I DO know that the 00-01's are infamous for misfires and rough running due to this kind of stuff.

Do a search on the issue, the tsb was posted a few weeks back on a thread similar to this one, you should find it pretty easily!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

It will also take some time for the pcm to "get used" to the new injector, if infact that was the issue. Something like forty warm up cycles or so. Or you could also have the codes cleared and start fresh, but that also resets everything back to default. Code is definitely injector 5. I suppose it could come down to the pcm being the issue, but I would try to wrap some heat shielding around the injector. My 2000 has some goofy little tin foil shield between two and five, so perhaps yours is no longer there or just delapitated beyond fuction. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks very much for all the responses.
After further investigation, i have found that the isssue i am having is that i have constant power at the #5 injector. The power is not pulsing as i believe is should. I am leaning more and more towards the PCM.