Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 4.0 having electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 4.0 having electrical issues

2000 XJ sport 4.0, the problem is with quite a few things and leads me to believe it's the PCM. The wipers do not work, but the squirters do and the rear wiper works also. The blinkers and hazards do not work, but the low and high beams both work. Fog lights work. Radio works but the screen is intermittent. 2 codes pictured but the car is driving fine. Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I don't see anything in your list of problems that points to the PCM.

I see multiple, distinct problems, with multiple, distinct solutions. Keep chasing the PCM magic bullet, and you'll get nowhere.

See my sig, #1, for a good starting point.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I don't see anything in your list of problems that points to the PCM.

I see multiple, distinct problems, with multiple, distinct solutions. Keep chasing the PCM magic bullet, and you'll get nowhere.

With how many things were not working I figured it could only be the PCM. My first Jeep and I bought he car with these issues. Another reason for PCM being bad was that the starter ground wide had power and was causing a no start of course. Cut the ground going into the PCM and now the car runs and drives great!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
when you say that how exactly do I find your sig #1?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Signature. The text below my post that shows up with every post. You may have your account set to not show sigs, which saves screen space, but quite a few of the old hands here have valuable tips in their sigs, so that sword cuts both ways.

Here's what it says:

1. When electrical things get weird, check your grounds. (No, don't look at it. Take it apart.)
  2. Troubleshoot, don't just guess and throw parts at it.
  3. Here's how to save a "hopeless" transmission that is slipping and has brown or black fluid.
  4. The Amway Flush will get your cooling system squeaky clean, with zero risk.
  5. Kids, here is the right way to post a request for help. No groveling ("Please help!"), no whining, no twenty questions for people trying to help you.

#2 is also relevant. You don't need #5, as you are already doing great on that point. Thank you!

As for the PCM, that's kind of what I expected. It's the easy answer when electrical stuff is a mystery, which is is to most people.

No sweat, though. Stick with us and we'll walk you through peeling this onion, one layer at at time.

Your trans switch issue may point to a need to rebuild or replace your NSS. Do a search on that term here and you'll get plenty of info.

Blinkers and hazards, check fuses, and the flasher units.

Radio, probably internal to the unit. Replace time. Check the connections in the back first, though.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Issue with your starter and two codes probably the nuetral safety switch. Google it. Other problems are likely switches too. Aside from radio which may be a loose wire. Also check your grounds, that's #1 in BRM's sig(signature) at the bottom of his posts.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Waynerd
Issue with your starter and two codes probably the nuetral safety switch. Google it. Other problems are likely switches too. Aside from radio which may be a loose wire. Also check your grounds, that's #1 in BRM's sig(signature) at the bottom of his posts.
There's no longer an issue with the starter, I solved it. Cut the ground wire and screwed it to the fender and it starts up just fine now. The ground must have failed internally on the motherboard.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 AM

*UPDATE*

After toying around with some things this weekend I think I have narrowed down a few problems. Simple test for my neutral safety switch resulted in a bypass and my ability to start in any gear hence the switch is bad. I tracked the electrical for my wipers to the motor and everything work the way it was supposed to except for the motor (It didn't move at all) so that leads me to believe that the motor is bad. As for the blinkers, you think a test light I probed all of the connections from the switch itself to the relay and the plug power in the relay only has power to battery and ignition no power to turn signal or hazard so that leads me to believe that the blinker switch is bad. If anybody can comment on these that would be great thank you ����
Old 09-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

My buddy and I just dealt with this issue today on my 01 Sport Auto 4x4 4.0
I had an issue with no start, no nothing
We eliminated the battery and starter, good to go
looked here for other failures, found the two possible culprits
bad ignition or NSS
I had a bad/faulty NSS, we tested the connections and found a bad connection
we chose to bypass it temp, as a fix.
The XJ started right up, as it always did!!!!
Iam going to find another NSS on a junk yard xj, or just buy a new NSS
I am so thankful for this forum!!!!
props to Cherokeeforum!!!